Railroad Forums 

• Gov Pataki Announces $2 Million for LAL

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#195947  by Aji-tater

New York is far from the most rail-friendly state in the nation. It is true they are giving money to freight rail at the moment and that is great. But overall they are not a leader. For one instance Pennsylvania has a far better history of funding needed projects and improvements. Usually when money is doled out there are a few biggies who get most of it while the smaller companies are left fighting for the scraps. "The nation's leader in how to do rail correctly" is not a widely-held opinion, to say the least. But it's a free country and we are all welcome to our own views.

#196188  by Luther Brefo

Aji-tater wrote:New York is far from the most rail-friendly state in the nation. It is true they are giving money to freight rail at the moment and that is great. But overall they are not a leader. For one instance Pennsylvania has a far better history of funding needed projects and improvements. Usually when money is doled out there are a few biggies who get most of it while the smaller companies are left fighting for the scraps. "The nation's leader in how to do rail correctly" is not a widely-held opinion, to say the least. But it's a free country and we are all welcome to our own views.
Thank you for explaining.
 #198151  by Matt Langworthy

As a longtime observer of LA&L and B&H, paint doesn't take precedence over maintenance. While paint is cheap compared to the repairs, it does not generate revenues like a refurbished locomotive or welded rail. javing said that, LAL got the funds for a reason and I'm sure they'll use them properly. We should be glad they got the money to continue rail service.

And repainting a loco doesn't necessarily improve its appearance. Who would want to see the Alco S-1s repainted from their original B&H scheme into black and yellow? I daresay LAL has realized this...

#200279  by Otto Vondrak

RS-3 wrote: " As I understood Otto's post, it inferred paint is "money squandered". Was I wrong?"

And I wrote:

Yes, in this case you misunderstood. Yes, I think a railroad's image is very important (I'm a graphic designer, I understand all too well how the right image can make or break you). However, the NYS grant that is the topic of this thread is intended for railroad infrastructre, not paint jobs.

As I said before, paint does not pull trains, working locomotives over good track does. LAL has no shabby engines in its fleet- even the second hand units run with clean, albeit not their own, paint jobs. Of course, I look forward to the day when the next glossy black unit rolls out of the shop!

-otto-

#200453  by railwatcher

It seems this paint issue comes up all too often. This, in this case, is moving away from the topic of Grant money. To put an end to the paint part of this discussion I will finalize it for all and add that plans are to repaint #421 next and it is going to be heading to the WNYP with their markings, as was reported elsewhere.

Now, lets return to the subject of Grant money.

Personally, more welded rail is a good move. Also, I know a .6 spur that appears to have some really rotted ties, in places.

Thank you.

Railwatcher, moderator