Railroad Forums 

• shop hostler going to TE&Y

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#197438  by badguy

hey everybody, I'm a hostler/locomotive mover/shop laborer, in Long Beach. I was wondering you guys' opinion on me transferring to train service, because a lot of people from my craft have done it before, but
I want the opinion of real engineers and conductors.
 #197621  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Hey sounds good to me!!!!! It sure would be nice to have a guy on the crew who knew how to dump the holding tank on the toilet -while we are making a 10 hour trip in 25 degree weather with the windows open because it stinks so bad in the cab. HAHA-----If you get the chance do it --------every day is an adventure on the rails---with a little bit more freedom than you probably get in the shop----you can only take so long moving those engines around in the pit. The one down side you will not like is we don't have a 30 minute department job brief everyday with doughnuts and biscuits and popcorn around the clock!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHA

Take care

Nashville Newbie