Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jlr3266

Nice!! I guess after modelling so many of the LIRR engines, the NYAR fleet was inevitable.

by Richard Glueck

John, beautiful paint work. I like the LIRR grey/orange stuff particularly, but the MP15's are so very well done. I believe I've seen your work on eBay. You have outbid me several times, you son of a silly person!

by jhdeasy

Richard Glueck wrote:Another LIRR image off the layout.

Looks like you have a heavyweight parlor car trailing locomotive 206 ... which parlor car is it ? .... Can we get a good photo of the parlor car ?

by thrdkilr

Richard & John, very nice, with spray cans!!! John, what is your secret for painting your trucks, especially on the Athearn SW-1000 (#100) & GP38 (#260)? Richard, can you give me the details on your Alco 430 (#206), make, paint, ect....Thanks for posting guys, again, nice job!

by Richard Glueck

Most of my painting is now done with an airbrush. I have gone over to acrylics as they clean up more easily and done require dipping my hands in Floquil diasol thinner. I still use Floquil for a number of things, but less and less. The C420 is an ALCO models brass model I purchased off eBay. It was in SP "black widow", but SP never ran them. I stripped it and put her to right. The paint is Floquil, in a mixture that closely simulates the LIRR's. Same is true for the RS1, also an ALCO models product or the same generation (about 1970). These are on the eBay lists all the time. The decals were a gift from friend Al Castelli. The FA1 is a Spectrum model that started life as a NYC unit. I stripped it in isopropyl alcohol and repainted it in acrylics. The color is a military light grey that closely simulated "platinum mist". The yellow and blue stripes are similar acrylics. The MTA decals are again, from Al Castelli. I touched the trucks with a silver burnish, then airbrushed with "dust". The ALCO Diesel soot is Floquil engine black.
Pre-weathering and post-weathering images below.

by Richard Glueck

When railroading was railroading! Just a bit of fun in honor of the year, and in hope of seeing it live, up-close, and personal, not too long from now.

by Long Island 7285

Dont we all hope to see that again, and sadly as i see from my own views, not enough was done to get the ball rolling to get that to happen last october. hey, maby the 55 annaversary. :-D