Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Richard Glueck

A few of my LIRR representations from the age I remember best. Thank you, Paul Strubeck for hosting the images on your website.

All other LIRR modelers, please join in and show us what you have represented of our great Long Island Rail Road!

by lirrmike

Excellent!!!

Mike

by M1 9147

Oh my, how nice!

by LIRR272

The models look great. Who made the C Liner? There is a model out, but it has the incorrect trucks. Does anybody know who make a C Liner thats accurate for the LIRR?

by NIMBYkiller

Hot stuff man!

by Richard Glueck

The C-Liners were AHM C-Liners, with the chassis reversed, pilot modified and Kemtron PA trucks replacing the original idlers. For a long time, these were the only C-Liners available; and cheap, too! You can find them in model show scrap boxes all the time.

by 9C1LT1

Nice LIRR models! You HO guys are so Lucky, all this LIRR stuff and decals! Us N scale modelers don't have much in the way of LIRR models. Atlas makes the GP-38 w/o dynamic brakes, but no LIRR paint job... Does anyone know someone willing to paint up two N scale GP-38's into Blue/Yellow? I realize the wave paint job would be very hard to do for an engine that size.

My father has a brass High Hood HO C420 (L1 Lo-Ad trucks) I'll see if I can get a photo of it, after I locate it!

-Barry

by Richard Glueck

Another LIRR image off the layout.

by alcoc420

Very nice. I like the C-Liner, especially.

I have some photos of my LIRR HO stuff (an H16-44, a C420, etc.) in gray and orange, but I must confess, I don't know how to post photos. Can anyone point me to a link or tell me how?

by LIRRNOVA55

alcoc420 wrote:Very nice. I like the C-Liner, especially.

I have some photos of my LIRR HO stuff (an H16-44, a C420, etc.) in gray and orange, but I must confess, I don't know how to post photos. Can anyone point me to a link or tell me how?
If you email me the photos i can host them online for you, and ill show you how to post them.

by Crabman1130

How come I can't see anything or have anything to click on?

by phoenix

Excellent photos sir!

please post more photos! Love em!

by scopelliti

Red Ball made an HO brass model of the Fairbanks Morse CPA-24-5. Just dug one of my models out of storage and took a quick photo. The front pilot is loose, but you get the idea. Oh damn.. just noticed that it is numbered incorrectly (assuming it is really a CPA-24-5 and not a CPA-20-5). Oh well, got it on eBay a while back for a decent price, so we shall see...

by scopelliti

BTW.. neat move reversing the chassis on the AHM units, then using a PA trailing truck. In case some haven't seen the AHM units... the motor was mounted directly over the rear truck so it appears to be an issue of rounding the B end of the chassis to fit inside the A end of the body, then swapping the truck.

Wish I had thought of that 40 years ago (cough!). AHM used to have a defects sale, when they sold three for the price of one. Most had a loose wire, or misaligned brushes on the motor. Others just worked. My guess is a lot were customer returns (now called refurbs) that cannot be sold as new. Such a deal for.. umm.. brushing aside the cobwebs... $14.98?

by John 61

I am adding two links to a site that has models that I have painted on it. I listed mostly engines but I've painted many kinds of HO rolling stock over the last 20 years. I started with just a Testors spray can. I now use an airbrush. The site is a Free site so they limit me on the bandwith and the amount of viewers per day. If the links do not load try it another day.

http://members.tripod.com/lirr_nya_photos/id4.html
http://members.tripod.com/lirr_nya_photos/id18.html