Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jayrmli

While still considered active, Freeport Team hasn't seen a car in over a year. The car you see on spot at Quality Lineals was purchased by the business and used for storage. It doesn't look like they'll be shipping by rail anymore.

Jay

by Long Island 7285

Another Railshipper on LI resorting to other modes.

Maby thats why they ahvent been routing NYA Via Valley :(

Speaking about freight, I read something in the Employee TT Stating
"1038-L FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH
Freight trains are prohibibited on No. 1 and No. 2 tracks Far Rockaway Branch between Valley and Far Rockaway due to close clearance"

With the Above stated from the Special Instructions page I-33, Does that Mean that NO freight is alowd on the branch at any time no matter what type of cars are in the consist?

by Lirr168

Long Island 7285 wrote:Another Railshipper on LI resorting to other modes.

Maby thats why they ahvent been routing NYA Via Valley :(

Speaking about freight, I read something in the Employee TT Stating
"1038-L FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH
Freight trains are prohibibited on No. 1 and No. 2 tracks Far Rockaway Branch between Valley and Far Rockaway due to close clearance"

With the Above stated from the Special Instructions page I-33, Does that Mean that NO freight is alowd on the branch at any time no matter what type of cars are in the consist?
If MPs and ballast cars can run on the Far Rock for track work and as leaf crushers I don't see why NYA consists couldn't fit on there.
  by batfloat

Retro Boy Waldbaums was off the CI siding they use to get a switch in the AM going east and a switch in the PM, 5 days a week. Ended when the main line was electrified. Also Hills Super Markets had a warehouse in Brentwood,well really Pine Aire,right where nyar lays up there equipment just opp the old Pine Aire station i think they call it the back track now. Also farmingdale had met food the present sight of levitz furniture.

by Form 19

When the leaf crusher trains run on the Far Rock Branch, they receive a Train Order relieving them of that Special Instruction. Some freight cars hit the platforms on curves and most importantly, it was found that some frieght cars will hit trains on the adjacent track on curves. The prohibition was to control what runs down there. If NYAR or anyone else ran down there, the Movement Bureau would only issue the TO when it was determined that the consist does not contain any prohibited cars or if so, that no trains would be running on the adjacent track.

It was a common Train Order when they were doing track work on the branch a few years ago.
  by freightguy

I got a few train orders to place cars into sidings where they there prohibited due to their length or configueration and weight. I wish I would of held on to them. :( Some of those sidings are now distant memories. Maybe one day there will be no more Form 19's at all definetely in the form a retired engr. See ya out there!

by jayrmli

The Far Rockaway Branch was not part of the freight transfer agreement. NYAR has no business on that branch, so the point is moot.

LIRR work trains would need the train order relieving them of the special instruction for the reasons noted above, as all work train equipment (including the sandite/alcohol cars) are considered freight equipment.

Jay

by Long Island 7285

The question was not about getting NYA on that branch but rather what that special instruction ment regurding running freight on that branch, Form 19 came through again with a great answer.

by MACTRAXX

Guys: I do remember the Waldbaum's siding in CI. I live only one mile from this location and have for more than 30 years. I recall that the warehouse was built by the Big Apple supermarket chain(remember them?)in the early 70s and was later conveyed to Shop Rite later in the 70s and than it was taken over by Waldbaums in around 1980 or early 80s or so I believe. The siding was pulled during the mid-80s trackwork for the Ronkonkoma electrification. I do wonder if the track provisions entering the building are still there. MACTRAXX

by Sir Ray

jayrmli wrote:While still considered active, Freeport Team hasn't seen a car in over a year. The car you see on spot at Quality Lineals was purchased by the business and used for storage. It doesn't look like they'll be shipping by rail anymore.
Since this thread re-activated, I just thought I'd ask if this freight car at Lineals is a grey hopper, which you can half see behind a white building on the North Side of Sunrise Hwy (and south side of the Montauk Line) a little West of the Meadowbrook Pkwy entrance/exit ramps (separated by what I always thought was a Freeport Village Maintenance yard, because of the frames and hoists supporting Sand Spreader beds for their trucks).
I just bring it up as I have passed by that location hundreds of times over the past 2 decades, and until this thread never once noticed any freight cars there at all (not meaning they weren't there, obviously they were, just that I didn't notice). Is the team track in the same location (except maybe further West?)
  by freightguy

I saw my cousin on Turkey day and he said the distributor for Stop-and-Shop bought that building from Walbaum's. He said they plan on shipping all their dry goods out of that facility. Good luck getting a siding at that location...