Railroad Forums 

• What is a "remote control caboose"?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#185182  by firelaw

Hi everyone:
I am new to railfanning and was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions.

First of all, what is a remote control caboose and how does it work? I see the mmc has one.

Second, where to begin railfanning, is there a group to join and where can I find all the terms used?

Thanks
Sorry if this all sounds dumb but I had to ask.

#185199  by DutchRailnut

The remote control caboose is noting more than a caboose with controls for a locomotive equipped with remote control.
I don't know how long they will be around since FRA basicly disapproves use of remote control locomotives on the mainline, outside yards.

#185218  by BR&P

When remotes were first introduced they had a control box the operator used, and a receiver hooked up inside the locomotive to receive the commands and make the engine respond. The problem was it was very expensive to equip every locomotive, and if the one with the remote gear broke it required another remote-equipped loco, or go back to a live engineer.

Some roads took an old caboose and put the receiver gear in THAT, and used a set of wire jumpers (called an MU cable for "Multiple Unit") to connect to the locomotive. When the loco was set up as if it was being controlled from another loco, it would respond to the remote commands. This way ANY loco equipped for MU with another locomotive could instead be connected to the caboose - the railroad did not have to buy a remote for every locomotive.
 #185221  by CSX Conductor

firelaw wrote:Second, where to begin railfanning, is there a group to join and where can I find all the terms used?
Yes, there are many groups both on-line and in the real world. It just depends where you are located or where you're interested in railfanning. :wink:

#185231  by firelaw

I am in reading and northern nh.

#185429  by Otto Vondrak

Where to begin to learn about railroads and railfanning? I think you found the right place! Also plenty of books and magazines, just take your pick... read, read, read, and read some more. And ask plenty of "dumb" questions...

-otto-