• Train strikes car in Woodmere...

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

NIMBYkiller wrote:\:

I said the LIRR should shoulder the blame IF the gates weren't working. Perhaps you should pay attention to the whole thread rather than just random statements.
FWIW, you didn't specify under what circumstances the RR should be responsible; I quoted you exactly, no edits! But in all honesty, does that really matter? I don't think any of us here want to see the RR getting any more bad press or losing more money becuase of the stupidity of a few people who cross in front of trains (or in this case, into trains :P )

by RPM2Night

Lirr168 wrote:\:

(or in this case, into trains :P )
yeah, people who try to cross through trains,haha

Talking about it being unfair that the railroad has to take the blame and financial hit from most accidents, even if it is the car driver's fault is kind of the way the law system in this country works unfortunately. It's kind of set up to where you are actually benefitted from being stupid and careless lol. Take that stupid woman who spilled hot coffee on herself and won a several million dollar law suit against McD's when she, under common sense, should have either drank her coffee in the parking lot before hitting the road, or at least waited to drink it while she was stopped at a red light. Another example was that idiot that broke into someone's house while they were away on vacation and got himself locked in the garage upon trying to leave the house, and sued them because he got stuck within their house (despite the fact that he was trespassing and robbing the place).

So basically it's silly that people could do something so obviously stupid such as stepping infront of a train and yet the railroad still being blamed for it. Just the way our screwed up law system works though :(

by Lirr168

RPM2Night wrote:Just the way our screwed up law system works though :(
Amen to that! If once, just once, the LIRR countersued someone for the cost of fixing the crossing, repairing the locomotive, and the overtime for the MTA police, I think there would be less and less of these lawsuits.