Railroad Forums 

• I got hired!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#168060  by n2qmt

I got hired this week to be a Block Operator for Amtrak! Class will begin on October 3 in Wilmington. Since this isn't the "typical" way to enter railroad service, I'll try to post regularly about training for any who may be interested. I am really looking forward to my new career. Anyone got any helpful hints for me? Cheers!

John

#168338  by Guest

What's a Block Operator?

-r

#168458  by hooked up

Would a Block Operator be pretty much the same as what we in the old days would have called a "Tower Operator"? Except that nowadays there aren't many towers left....... :(

#168465  by LCJ

Affirmative.
 #168535  by LCJ

n2qmt wrote:I got hired this week to be a Block Operator for Amtrak!
I'm curious, John. Where will you be working? I assume NEC, since I'm not aware of anywhere else Amtrak would have operators.

A long trek from Cheyenne!

#168580  by n2qmt

LCJ,

Amtrak has Block Operators (or Tower Operators if you will) in a few locations on the Northeast corridor. The locations where I can be assigned are: Union (Rahway), Dock (Newark), NYP, Q Tower and R Tower (Sunnyside Yard), and Pelham Tower. There may be more locations east but I wouldn't assigned there.

NY is home for me and my family. I've been commuting to Cheyenne for a few months now every week so getting back to NY is a great thing! Cheers!

John

#168582  by LCJ

Good luck with that.

When I was located in Baltimore for CR ('84 to '87), I was in most of the towers down on the lower end -- from Zoo, Phil at 30th St, Perryville, Edgewood, Bay, Union, BP, Bowie, etc.

I always enjoyed spending time in the towers talking with the operators. Amtrak had quite a few really good ones at that time. Perryville was my favorite hangout. I would often watch our crews there, and catch rides as they went around the wye from the Port Road Branch.

Operators -- a vanishing breed, for sure!
Last edited by LCJ on Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

#168792  by CSX Conductor

n2qmt wrote:LCJ,

Amtrak has Block Operators (or Tower Operators if you will) in a few locations on the Northeast corridor. The locations where I can be assigned are: Union (Rahway), Dock (Newark), NYP, Q Tower and R Tower (Sunnyside Yard), and Pelham Tower. There may be more locations east...
FYI: All Amtrak lines between Boston & New Haven as well as MBCR's south-side operations are dispatched from CETC @ Boston's South Station, with the exception of South Bay Tower, which controls about 1/2 mile of territory in Southampton Street Yard. Guess you could call him a block operator as opposed to a dispatcher since he is in a trailer with the older style boards instead of the modern computers that are up in the CETC.

#168870  by chrisjz

There are even a few operators on Amtrak's Harrisburg line. I know of one at Thorn tower (Thorndale) for sure. He controls everything from Glen to W&N Jct.