• Adirondack suspended starting 5/20/2024

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Train60

The Adirondack is suspended starting on Monday May 20th, according to the Amtrak website.

The error message presented when I tried to book a trip was,
"We do not have any services between the cities entered on the date(s) you selected. Please try different date(s)." (Ref.PAMIGI50)

From the looks of it no bookings are possible on this train until Sunday, June 30th.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
  by Gilbert B Norman

I've learned that CN line is again falling apart (I think that's the one - former route of The Montrealer - rather than the NJ, which I think would call for a backup into Gare Centrale), so I guess there is a "crash program" (before there's a real crash) to get it up to maybe FRA Class 2 - passenger 30 mph.
  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:31 am I've learned that CN line is again falling apart (I think that's the one - former route of The Montrealer - rather than the NJ, which I think would call for a backup into Gare Centrale), so I guess there is a "crash program" (before there's a real crash) to get it up to maybe FRA Class 2 - passenger 30 mph.
I heard it was so bad, the track is limited to 10 mph and Amtrak said "oh hell no."

My question is, does that track even have freight on it?
  by theGottfather

From Cantic north it should have the CN to NECR interchange train that goes to Alburg, VT. I believe the CN line should also have the NS-CN run through pair 30T/31T from Enola, PA to Montreal.
  by Railjunkie

Before we all panic CN has extorted a massive amount of $$$$ to which they have turned into ties or sleepers which ever you prefer. Where the $$$$ came from I do not know but a few SWAGs could answer your questions. Remember freight doesn't care how fast it moves so that eliminates one company. It will get fixed, sorta. Trains will run again this summer maybe..

On to the fun stuff, AMT69/68 will turn at Saratoga just like LAST YEAR, nothing to see here keep it moving. As for the 10mph, IF the temperature gets over 76 degrees or whenever CN feels the need to they add it to your OCS clearance. This supposedly due to the poor condition of the railroad. Amtrak had nothing to do with it. Matter of fact last spring if you check the tome keeping you see some very late AMT68s just before it was truncated at Saratoga. The 10mph isn't generally for the entire Rouses Point Sub but enough of it to cause major delays. The RSP only sees a few trains a day, and CN has never been really good at the maintenance side of the sub. Was once qualified north of the boarder and it was not a great railroad then plus or minus 10 years ago, I remember long stretches of 30mph with 10-15mph mixed in over hand thrown switches.
  by John_Perkowski

Someone please tell me Amtrak’s contracts now include a penalty clause for less than a state of good repair. See also 3/4 and western Kansas.
  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:04 am Before we all panic CN has extorted a massive amount of $$$$ to which they have turned into ties or sleepers which ever you prefer. Where the $$$$ came from I do not know but a few SWAGs could answer your questions. Remember freight doesn't care how fast it moves so that eliminates one company. It will get fixed, sorta. Trains will run again this summer maybe..

On to the fun stuff, AMT69/68 will turn at Saratoga just like LAST YEAR, nothing to see here keep it moving. As for the 10mph, IF the temperature gets over 76 degrees or whenever CN feels the need to they add it to your OCS clearance. This supposedly due to the poor condition of the railroad. Amtrak had nothing to do with it. Matter of fact last spring if you check the tome keeping you see some very late AMT68s just before it was truncated at Saratoga. The 10mph isn't generally for the entire Rouses Point Sub but enough of it to cause major delays. The RSP only sees a few trains a day, and CN has never been really good at the maintenance side of the sub. Was once qualified north of the boarder and it was not a great railroad then plus or minus 10 years ago, I remember long stretches of 30mph with 10-15mph mixed in over hand thrown switches.
My idea (as far fetch as it is) was, if CN has effectively abandoned the line save for Amtrak traffic, why not Amtrak buy it and maintain it themselves? But... no, there's freight on the line... as little as it is.
  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:10 pm
Railjunkie wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:04 am Before we all panic CN has extorted a massive amount of $$$$ to which they have turned into ties or sleepers which ever you prefer. Where the $$$$ came from I do not know but a few SWAGs could answer your questions. Remember freight doesn't care how fast it moves so that eliminates one company. It will get fixed, sorta. Trains will run again this summer maybe..

My idea (as far fetch as it is) was, if CN has effectively abandoned the line save for Amtrak traffic, why not Amtrak buy it and maintain it themselves? But... no, there's freight on the line... as little as it is.
Sounds like a case for the State to purchase the route, and then contract out freight service, with CN maintaining trackage rights.
  by dgvrengineer

Remember, this is in a foreign country. Amtrak has no statutory authority in Canada. CN can and does whatever it damn well pleases and it seems to please CN to piss off Amtrak whenever it can.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:47 pmSounds like a case for the State to purchase the route, and then contract out freight service, with CN maintaining trackage rights.
And which US State would you recommend purchases a rail line located in Canada…?
  by scratchyX1

Erie-Lackawanna wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:39 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:47 pmSounds like a case for the State to purchase the route, and then contract out freight service, with CN maintaining trackage rights.
And which US State would you recommend purchases a rail line located in Canada…?
It wasn't specified where the trackage is located.
  by R36 Combine Coach

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:47 pm Sounds like a case for the State to purchase the route, and then contract out freight service, with CN maintaining trackage rights.
Can Quebec even own the line and lease out to a freight carrier as with NJDOT, ConnDOT, NYSDOT, et al?
Metrolinx (Ontario) owns GO Transit lines but has CN freight trackage rights.
  by Railjunkie

dgvrengineer wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:36 pm Remember, this is in a foreign country. Amtrak has no statutory authority in Canada. CN can and does whatever it damn well pleases and it seems to please CN to piss off Amtrak whenever it can.
This type of "stuff" has been going on for my entire 26 year career. It was going on before I started and will continue well after. CN knows it has the only way for the Adirondack to get to Montreal and will extort as much $$$$ as they can when ever they can.
  by Railjunkie

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:01 pm
Erie-Lackawanna wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:39 pm
It wasn't specified where the trackage is located.
I believe somewhere in there I mentioned "north of the boarder." Which would infer Canada I guess? Unless my geography is wrong. As Ed Asner once said Reading is Fundamental. :-D
  by STrRedWolf

Amtrak would have to form an "Amtrak Canada" or get with VIA Rail to purchase the line, to be honest. This is "North of the border" so CN would...

...hold on. Why does CN have trackage *in* the United States?

No, I think Amtrak can just hit up the STB and FRA on this and ask for an investigation for ALL of CN's tracks.