Railroad Forums 

• Earthquake service impact

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1641707  by MaRoFu

NJ Transit is experiencing some delays due to some bridge inspections as a result of the 4.8 quake in Lebanon, NJ. Newark Light Rail is completely down due to track inspections. Gotta say the shaking was quite the shock.
 #1641712  by NaugyRR

It rattled us pretty good upstate/Hudson Valley. My poor wife got to experience it from the 14th floor of her building in Albany. I thought someone drove into my building at work.
 #1641718  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: For the record this morning's (10:23 AM EDT) earthquake was 4.8 on the Richter scale with the
epicenter reported to be in Hunterdon County about four miles north of White House Station and Lebanon, NJ...
This was about three miles deep underground in that general area as reported by USGS to Media...

The closest two NJT rail lines to this area is the Raritan Valley Line's western portion between Raritan and
High Bridge - and the western end of the Gladstone Branch in Somerset County in that order...

Inspecting infrastructure of all types across North Jersey and surrounding areas to make sure that there
are no underlying problems is the proper thing to do in this rare but not unknown situation...

I felt this earthquake 90 miles (in a straight line) east on Long Island in my house...There are large road
construction vehicles stored on an adjacent plot of land that I initially thought were being moved around
for road work - but this felt like something more than that...and I was right after tuning in to local news...

Hope everyone has gone through this event without any serious problems and this turns out to be just
something along the lines of "Were were YOU when...?" for this and other related conversation...

MACTRAXX
 #1642104  by Ken W2KB

MaRoFu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:30 am NJ Transit is experiencing some delays due to some bridge inspections as a result of the 4.8 quake in Lebanon, NJ.
Both the news media and government entities reported "Lebanon, NJ". However, there are two Lebanons in NJ, Lebanon Borough, NJ (which is likely what was intended, and Lebanon Township, NJ These two municipalities are several miles distant from each other.