Railroad Forums 

• Movie: Funny Girl- New York Central tug #24

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1017116  by SST

I meant to post this last night but I just plane forgot. On Turners Classic Movies [TCM] at 8pm tonight will be the movie Funny Girl. I was watching the previews last night and was surprised to see that some of the movie was filmed on a New York Central tug...#24. It must have recieved a sprucing up becuase it looked freshly painted right out of the shop. It's almost all green.
 #1017213  by Marty Feldner

The movie is from 1968- so it's PC, not NYC. The color is PC green (I have another description of the green- not quite as appetizing, but it also starts with a 'p' :-)

There was some mention of this a few years ago in one of the media threads, either here or on Railfan.net...
 #1017350  by SST

While your are correct that the movie was made in 1968, the story takes place in the 1930's or so. While the tug may be PC, in the 30's it was NYC and they probably repainted it as NYC to fit the period. Who knows, maybe they leased that tug boat from someone other than NYC/PC.

What about the B&O RR scene? Steam locomotive and passenger cars. Either way, always nice to see.
 #1017458  by Ðauntless

NYC started painting tugs in "Century Green" in the early 60s. It is indeed correct and not PC. I dont think any of the steam tugs operated into PC, although they were still on the property.
 #1017480  by Otto Vondrak

SST wrote:While your are correct that the movie was made in 1968, the story takes place in the 1930's or so. While the tug may be PC, in the 30's it was NYC and they probably repainted it as NYC to fit the period. Who knows, maybe they leased that tug boat from someone other than NYC/PC.
While the scene was meant to be 1930s, they apparently ignored that when they borrowed the tug from NYC, who gave them a fresh one in Century Green.
What about the B&O RR scene? Steam locomotive and passenger cars. Either way, always nice to see.
They reactivated the old CNJ Jersey City terminal for the movie shoot.

Unfortunately, the referring video is no longer posted. It was a five minute behind the scenes look at the filming done at Jersey City terminal.

-otto-
 #1641429  by CaptainEddie24

This is a very long shot - but does anyone know who was the captain of NYCS tug #24 during filming? My late grandfather, Edwin Spoehel (1894-1980), was the captain of NYC tug #24 in the 1960s and 1970s. The white hair and posture of the captain looks like him, but if anyone knows I'd love to add the info to the family lore. It seems like I remember hearing something about it but I wasn't living at home at the time. I watched the DVD last night and when I saw NYC tug #24 I jumped out of my seat to take a good look - it sure looks like him!!!
 #1641472  by MACTRAXX

CE: Good remembrance of NYC Tug #24...After watching the "Funny Girl" clip posted by BR&P there is
no doubt about the jade green color scheme and the 1960s era cigar band logo on the smokestack...

Since you have the DVD you can stop and view scenes pertinent to your Grandfather operating Tug #24.
And - Read the credits at the end of "Funny Girl" to see if the NY Central - or any of Tug #24's crew have
been mentioned for this scene in the movie with Barbra Streisand singing on board in New York Harbor...

Another thought would be to contact the NY Central System Historical Society and check if there have
been any articles written about NYC's New York Harbor tugboats - and specifically any mention about
Tug #24's history in "Central Headlight"...
www.nycshs.org

Good history from 1968...Hard to believe that "Funny Girl" is now 56 years ago...MACTRAXX
 #1641486  by CaptainEddie24

Thanks for directing me to the New York Central Historical Society. I'll definitely try that. I searched the credits on the DVD but couldn't find anything. IMDB didn't have anything, either.

Yes, I can't believe it's been 56 years ago. I was 19 then. Last month I turned 75, the exact age Gramps was when it was filmed! He didn't even retire for a few more years! It's possible one of the deck hands might still be alive today, and might be able to give me more info.

As an aside, in the late 1950s I spent a day with Gramps in the wheelhouse. Lots of fun! But...I'm a girl and had to dress like a boy and couldn't talk to anyone because a female wasn't allowed on the tug in those days. Have things changed? Ha, ha.
 #1641793  by tree68

Odds are Gramp didn't get a mention because then they'd have to pay him for the appearance. And he'd likely be eligible for a SAG card as well.

So he was just an extra. Not that he didn't get anything extra for the appearance, but he's not eligible for residuals and the like.
 #1641800  by ExCon90

If the New York Central Historical Society has copies of "Central Headlight" (their monthly employee magazine), it very likely devoted a page or more to that sequence and named every employee involved.

You might also try reposting under New York Central in Fallen Flags and Historic Roads -- some former employees may have complete files.
 #1641803  by BR&P

That's a good suggestion, and worth trying. However timing might work against you. As noted, filming was in 1967 or 1968. The NYC and PRR merged February 1, 1968. The NYC Headlight was replaced by Penn Central Post. But the movie was not released until September 19th, 1968.

There was a strong focus in PC's early days on the new company, with minimal discussion of pre-merger events. I believe I still have some of the last - and first - issues but which box they are in is anybody's guess. If I come across them I'll try to remember to update. But if someone has those issues at their fingertips it would not hurt to check, maybe it was written up.
 #1641836  by R Paul Carey

The ship's bell from #24 was removed and saved by John Nash, once a VP on the NYC, who later served as a VP of the Lehigh Valley. He mounted the bell on a wooden base, attaching his LV letterhead with a statement that identifies the bell as from NYC #24.

In due course, this will likely go to the NYCSHS.