Railroad Forums 

• 4/5/2024 Earthquake Impacts

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1641709  by NaugyRR

Gizmodo is reporting the Holland Tunnel is being held...
https://gizmodo.com/earthquake-tremor-n ... 1851390372
Fair Use:
The Holland Tunnel posted on X, formerly Twitter, stating that the transit corridor between New York and New Jersey would be temporarily held for inspection in both directions.
My wife is working on the plaza in Albany today on the 14th floor of her building and said it was pretty scary. My dad in Ballston Spa felt it. We got rocked pretty good here at work in Pine Plains; I was leaning on the counter at work talking to a customer and thought someone drove into the building with a piece of equipment at first... until it didn't stop.
 #1641711  by NaugyRR

The Times Union reports Amtrak has speed restrictions in place...
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 387375.php
Fair Use:
As of 11:05 a.m. Amtrak said it was inspecting tracks in the Northeast Corridor and speed restrictions were in place throughout the Northeast “until all inspections are completed.” Metro-North reported train service out of New York City was not impacted.
 #1641721  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Let's title this "The April 5, 2024 Northeast Earthquake"
In case anyone is still (surprising to me at the time of my reply) unaware the reported epicenter of this morning's
earthquake (10:23 AM EDT) was in Hunterdon County, NJ about four miles north of Lebanon and White House
Station, NJ and was about three miles deep underground as mentioned by USGS in news reports...

Felt it here on Long Island 90 miles due east of the center in my house...There are large road construction
vehicles stored on an adjacent plot of land for ongoing area road work that I first thought were being moved
around - but this felt different for some reason and after tuning in to local news media I was right...

I fully understand that infrastructure needs to be inspected after this 4.8 (Richter scale) earthquake...
Rare as this was hopefully it becomes a "Where were YOU when...?" type event for memory's sake...
MACTRAXX