Railroad Forums 

• The decline of sleeper trains

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1641158  by eolesen

Ken W2KB wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:18 am "if leave home in the morning and fly toFlorida I can spend the afternoon and evening on the beach. Why would I travel on a train all day and night instead""
Sounds like those people place a value on their time.
 #1641162  by west point

Ken W2KB wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:18 am or "only planes travel to the Carribean and Europe. "
Can you still book a cruise ship to one of their destinations? Then at a later date book on another back to the USA? Of course. there is always a slow freighter to destinations all over the world. So, you do not have to fly if enroute time is no problem.
 #1641174  by John_Perkowski

When I was in the workforce, I travelled from Kansas City to such exotic spots as Seattle, central Texas, or Watertown New York. If I could have travelled sleeper (the Federal Travel Regulation no longer authorizes it), I’d have spent 2 1/2 to 3 days in transit. Flying, I went from KCI to Cincinnati, then changed planes to Syracuse. Rent a car, and I was there.

Simply put, for most business travellers, Amtrak cannot meet the demands of industry or Government in getting from A to B.
 #1641177  by eolesen

west point wrote: Can you still book a cruise ship to one of their destinations? Then at a later date book on another back to the USA?
No cruise lines departing from the US that I'm aware of will allow leaving or joining the cruise part way thru the itinerary absent a medical emergency or missing the original departure and having to join up at the next port, which may not even be permitted anymore unless you booked your airline tickets along with your cruise fare....

One way passage on a freighter might be an option but good luck finding a scheduled operation...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk