Railroad Forums 

• "Sing us a Song, You're the Piano Man" Man on the LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1641011  by Jeff Smith

Billy Joel rides the LIRR to his MSG shows: Vulture.com

Wonder who else does.
Yes, That Was Billy Joel Riding the Long Island Rail Road

Actually, you are right. You might not be crazy. Because you really did see Billy Joel that one time on the Long Island Rail Road, which now serves as his preferred commute to and from his shows at Madison Square Garden. “I used to take a helicopter,” Joel told Newsday in a new interview, noting that the chopper life no longer appealed to him for safety reasons. (Nothing can humble a piano man quite like turbulence.) “People will sometimes look at me on the railroad and think, Look at this guy, trying to look like Billy Joel. He’s not kidding anybody. It’s still a great way to go.”
 #1641083  by Head-end View

I rode LIRR and the subways a few weeks ago. Everything seemed pretty much the same as always with most riders minding their own business; many looking at their Smart Phones.

With all the criminal incidents now being caught on video, the news media play them up big, where prior to all the video cameras, you never heard about them.

Some friends of mine who never ride, were astonished that I actually ride the subway! I had to explain to them although there are incidents, it's not as much of a horror show as the news media portrays it.
 #1641100  by 4behind2

This is a publicity stunt for the upcoming CBS taping of his 100th MSG concert and his media people made sure this got into the papers early. I'm sure in the coming weeks there will be a segment of Billy actually boarding a train with his entourage in the wings to make it appear hes an average guy taking the train to Penn Sta. when in reality there will probably be MTA police all over his departing station of choice to "protect" him.

Billy takes in roughly $2 million per concert and has the band sound check for him so he doesn't have to come in early. All he has to do is show up. Do you actually believe a KO or UN train round-trip is a viable alternative to a helicopter?