Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Phase VII Paint Scheme

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1638946  by John_Perkowski

NH2060 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm No way would they give the fluted sided cars a “wrap” repaint like what the smoothsided AIRO trainsets are getting.
Lest we forget… the railroads painted stainless.
IMG_4773.jpeg
IMG_4773.jpeg (227.27 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
(165.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Attachments:
IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4776.jpeg (79.05 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
 #1639048  by NH2060

Railjunkie wrote:There is a GP38ph3 rebuilt by Progress rail in Albany with a similar scheme
Here’s a video of it being delivered. The positioning of the dark blue and red on the cab doesn’t quite work, but once again it beats the drab Phase V:

#1639081  by NaugyRR

I agree, I feel like the cab should've been all red, but I can understand why they maintained the 'swoosh'
 #1640726  by CNJGeep

P42 #82 has been released in the new paint and should be heading west trailing on 5 (16 or 17)
 #1640812  by Tadman

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:08 pm
NH2060 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm No way would they give the fluted sided cars a “wrap” repaint like what the smoothsided AIRO trainsets are getting.
Lest we forget… the railroads painted stainless.
IMG_4776.jpeg
Same thing at the Grand Canyon. Their entire stainless fleet has been painted in platinum mist. Bit of a mystery as they've left the heavweights in green, so what are the stainless cars painted to match? You can see where it is flaking off beneath the name on this diner.

#1640894  by Tadman

I don't think they have much of indoor shops with a paint booth there, so perhaps they sent the cars out or cycled them through somewhere like Mid America Car or Metro East when they were bought? Not really sure.

I've heard the process for stripping and painting stainless was a PITA when IC and Northern Pacific traded domes every winter.

Also perhaps most of these cars were ex-Amtrak and just got a stripes package on the windows and maybe the platinum mist was from Amtrak? That is of course excepting the MBTA RDC depowers that were never Amtrak's.

A bit of missing information here.