Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1628965  by Traingeek3629

Jeff Smith wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:12 am The SLE M8’s were branded SLE?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw-JF5Pru1x ... BiNWFlZA==
Yep. Did it around the same time they got the announcements working.

Any update on work on that bridge in East Haven that knocks off the third rail shoes?
 #1640055  by ElectricTraction

It's too bad it's getting cut. I wonder if they could hog out a channel for the 3rd rail shoes to clear that tight bridge and be able to offer through service? Are the M-8s truly captive, or are they cycled through as they get maintenance and the 3rd rail shoes added/removed? The CTRail thing looks like a giant magnet or sticker or something.... What should be happening is building the other side of the Madison station so that they could increase service from the current cap with Amtrak due to not finishing the platform double-side project.
 #1640077  by Jeff Smith

They're emblazoned with the CTRail logo, so I'd say they're captive to east of New Haven (or Stamford, if they ever get around to resuming service there. They could reinstall the shoes, of course, and resume pool service, but then they'd be limited to Old Saybrook. One would assume if they could have modified the "offending" bridge, they would have.
 #1640098  by robelybasis

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:09 am They're emblazoned with the CTRail logo, so I'd say they're captive to east of New Haven (or Stamford, if they ever get around to resuming service there. They could reinstall the shoes, of course, and resume pool service, but then they'd be limited to Old Saybrook. One would assume if they could have modified the "offending" bridge, they would have.
1. The logos are magnets
2. It seems like extra cars from New Haven line would be used for through service
3. The offending bridge is in East Haven so that limits all through service.
 #1640110  by ElectricTraction

It's amazing that trains have been whizzing by that bridge with mere inches of clearance for over a century and now they find out that it doesn't clear third rail shoes. They should do a structural analysis to see if they can notch it out or something.
 #1640242  by NH2060

They were used in December 1990 for Toys For Tots “Santa Trains”/shoppers specials between New Haven and Old Saybrook; I’ve seen a few photos of the specials at Branford and OSB on Flickr or somewhere else and it’s documented in “Diesels To Park Avenue” in the ConnDOT chapter.

Was the bridge in question known to be modified between 1990 and the mid 2010s when the M8s first underwent testing? Many of the rail overpasses were rebuilt or had other work performed on them during the electrification project (just as many of the road overpasses were rebuilt to accommodate the overhead wires).