Railroad Forums 

• Mexican President's 'Mayan Train' (Tren Maya) multi-billion dollar project

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1601056  by Jeff Smith

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 022-05-31/
The 1,470-km (910-mile) railway project, which has been trumpeted by Lopez Obrador as a cornerstone of his plans to develop the country's poorer southern states, aims to link tourist hot spots and spur development on the Yucatan Peninsula.
 #1632411  by Gilbert B Norman

Apparently, the sponsors are acquiring equipment from Amtrak as well as other sources.

The current Wiki article on the project shows an inaugural date of this coming Dec 15, or 42 days from this writing.

Anyone have reports as to the project's status?
 #1632415  by Jeff Smith

Article's a little out-of-date but still: https://thecancunsun.com/maya-train-get ... this-year/
The Maya Train is finally happening – it’s official. At President López Obrador’s press conference on Monday, February 27, Tren Maya Director General, Óscar Lozano, stated that “we are committed to starting operations on December 1, 2023, that is the fulfillment of the mission”.

It’s not long to go, so start planning your itineraries and get ready to explore the Yucatan Peninsula in a whole new light!

This infrastructure megaproject is said to be complete on September 24, 2023, with test dates for the railway beginning in September, and it will run a total of 15,000 kilometers on its first ride to test its capabilities.
 #1633099  by Jeff Smith

February 2024 for final completion; December 15 start date: Thrifty Traveler
Coming Soon to Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula: A Massive Train Line
The Maya Train (or Tren Maya in Spanish) will be a scenic passenger rail network, linking tourist hotspots around the region like Cancún and Playa del Carmen as well as popular archeological sites like Chichén Itzá and many other, lesser-known cities and towns throughout southern Mexico. Once complete, it'll run 1,545 kilometers (about 960 miles) across five Mexican states, reaching speeds of up to 99 miles per hour – and, reportedly, partially electric.
Following a recent tour, Mexico's President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said on social media this week the Maya Train will begin running between Cancún and Campeche on Dec. 15. Other segments of the train line will commence service as they're completed, with the goal of having the entire line running by February 2024, the president said.
The railway cuts through the Mayan jungle – the second-largest tropical rainforest in the western hemisphere after the Amazon – and passes over an extensive underground cave system. Scientists, activists, and Mexican citizens have voiced concerns over the deforestation already caused by construction and how the train – and tourism and development it might bring – will affect the unique ecosystems and archeological sites in the area.
Should everything go according to plan, the Maya Train could be an exciting way for travelers to easily and comfortably explore the archeological sites, beaches, and jungle of the Yucatan and return to their hotel or resort in the evening – all without getting in a car. Reports suggest the trains will run every two hours, likely from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Ticket information hasn't been officially released, but the Riveria Maya News says there will be different pricing tiers for tourists versus local residents.
 #1637246  by Jeff Smith

Rough Start: Riviera Maya News
Ticket sales suspended after another Tren Maya failure

Riviera Maya, Q.R. — Another Tren Maya failure has lead to the suspension of ticket sales. The suspension was made over the weekend after a 7:00 a.m. train bound for Cancun was delayed by two hours due to ongoing mechanical issues.

Once Tren Maya Campeche passengers heading for Cancun finally got going, the train experienced problems again. Dozens of train passengers hit social media to share their frustration regarding the lack of information from station managers on the delays.

According to some social media posts, one of the cars was left non-mobile for more than four hours while Tren Maya passengers waited on the tracks. Videos posted by several angry train users show passengers outside the Cancun station finally boarding buses with their luggage to return to their starting point.
Earlier this month, passengers at the Palenque, Chiapas station were late getting to Cancun after a train engine failed along the journey in Campeche.
 #1639147  by David Benton

Some background from a Lecturer who coordinated a book on the project.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... a-lifeline
hopefully it is available outside NZ , and you can understand the accents. Otherwise there are links to articles and youtube videos.
 #1640990  by Gilbert B Norman

No train photos in this New York Times article, but I posted it here anyway. My print subscription allows me ten articles to share each calendar month on a "use 'em or lose 'em" basis, and I had six left.

Now I have five; the article explores the Mayan culture tourist attractions along the train's route. It also includes an interesting "factoid" - that as late as 1972, where Cancun is today, there was simply a sandy beach inhabited only by fishermen.

For myself, the 70's were my "do Mexico" years; the 80's were my "do the Caribbean"; "sun and sand" are simply "turn offs" to me, so I leave it for someone else to post a trip report on this train.