Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#160564  by 4 Express

9076 is not in service right now.

#160928  by 7 Train

9076 is an R33 ML. I do believe it was scrapped. I do not know the exact date it was removed from service or sent out for reefing, but you can contact the Urban Transit Club for more info on specific cars and rosters.

#161352  by huntersails23

i have here a file photo of 9076...
would be funny to see it painted like this in a museum somewhere.

and yes,i do in fact consider this art.

and...a year later,in some MTA-ish colors (after they scraped the spray paint off.

#161406  by Lirr168

I'm with you on this one...graffiti like that is really artistic, and it's a shame the MTA has to be so strict. Just this week they went to court to stop an atrist from painting a replica of a subway car at a street fair.

#161450  by 4 Express

Graffiti on subway cars is art but it's also crime.

#161699  by arrow

Tell me it's art after they do it to your house.

#161795  by Robert Paniagua

huntersails23 wrote:i have here a file photo of 9076...
would be funny to see it painted like this in a museum somewhere.

and yes,i do in fact consider this art.

and...a year later,in some MTA-ish colors (after they scraped the spray paint off.

I remember those photos (similar ones) from the book I still have called "Subway Art". I remember seeing similar images in that book. The car looked cool, but to the NYCTA, it was wrong and that's why in 1989/90, they did away with the last Grafitti-ridden train.

#161976  by huntersails23

please,don't misinterpret my meaning here. graffitti has no place in a shiny new commuter system like the MTA,but that was indeed one of the most beautiful sprayings of graffitti i've ever seen. it would actually be cool if certan trainsets,specifically the ones taggers like SEEN (who did the hand of doom car) would end up in museums rather than be treated as property.

besides,there's an amount of defiance i see in the subway/graffiti relation. think of it as a version of.....a protest. it's like saying "i'm going to tag this subway car because the money you paid for it with could have gone to better things"

#162113  by arrow

huntersails23 wrote:it would actually be cool if certan trainsets,specifically the ones taggers like SEEN (who did the hand of doom car) would end up in museums rather than be treated as property.

besides,there's an amount of defiance i see in the subway/graffiti relation. think of it as a version of.....a protest. it's like saying "i'm going to tag this subway car because the money you paid for it with could have gone to better things"
I couldn't DISagree with you more. What gives anyone the right to deface property like that? Maybe instead of a museum they should end up in jail.

#163680  by huntersails23

i understand that it's a crime,however,did you need to be that harsh?

#163735  by 7 Train

Graffiti is an urban art, just not in today's period. It would be considered one from circa 1975 to around 1990 during it heyday. Today it is a menace to the public.

#163860  by arrow

huntersails23 wrote:i understand that it's a crime,however,did you need to be that harsh?
Harsh meaning what? When I said that they should go to jail? There needs to be something to stop grafitti or it will become a big problem like it was in the 70s on the train. Can you imagine getting into a train that's covered in graffiti inside and out? That's the way it was back then and luckily for us it's been stopped now.

#163949  by Robert Paniagua

I absolutely agree with you, ArrowIII, although I sorta liked the art on the outside of the train cars, but as you got closer, the it was a bit dirty both phisically and emotionally as well, especially inside the cars back in the 70s and 80s. So that's why I'm glad to see that Graffitti has gone away, although we've had scratchiti now.

#163952  by 4 Express

Robert Paniagua wrote:I absolutely agree with you, ArrowIII, although I sorta liked the art on the outside of the train cars, but as you got closer, the it was a bit dirty both phisically and emotionally as well, especially inside the cars back in the 70s and 80s. So that's why I'm glad to see that Graffitti has gone away, although we've had scratchiti now.
I agree with the both of you-Robert, well we do have scratchitti but it seems like the MTA has found a new resolution well that's only for the R-142-160.