Railroad Forums 

• Telegraph Poles

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1639327  by golfguy

I regularly drive I-70 west from St. Louis. The highway parallels a Union Pacific railbed. I am puzzled by the telepgraph poles that are long that railbed. These poles are new. They have new cross-members and some have insulators. None have wires. I have contact Union Pacific to find out why they maintain these poles but were dismissed with the explanation that "contractual matters are proprietary". What gives? Why do they maintain these poles? I wonder if part of their right-of-way was originally contingent upon maintenance of telegraph service back in the day when it was a vital form of communication. Help! What's the answer?
 #1639388  by eolesen

They're line poles, not telegraph. Some are still used for signaling and other company purposes, and also possibly leased out to local telco providers.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk