Railroad Forums 

• Brightline Orlando Launch Discussion

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1637380  by BandA

I don't see anything in the article about Trirail's cost, other than the platform boondoggle. 10% fare recovery is not acceptable beyond a startup phase of a year or two. What is trirail's load factor? Implied in the previous post was that Brightline has lower operating cost than Trirail, which you would expect if they are paying crew to operate two trains for 100 minutes vs 1 train for 70!! Wonder how Trirail wages compare to Brightline private-sector. This is probably the only place in america where we can directly compare public sector and private sector costs. But if fares remain 1:5 for the same trip Trirail will eventually put Brightline out of business.
 #1637428  by JohnFromJersey

BandA wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:50 pm I don't see anything in the article about Trirail's cost, other than the platform boondoggle. 10% fare recovery is not acceptable beyond a startup phase of a year or two. What is trirail's load factor? Implied in the previous post was that Brightline has lower operating cost than Trirail, which you would expect if they are paying crew to operate two trains for 100 minutes vs 1 train for 70!! Wonder how Trirail wages compare to Brightline private-sector. This is probably the only place in america where we can directly compare public sector and private sector costs. But if fares remain 1:5 for the same trip Trirail will eventually put Brightline out of business.
Between 2018 and September 2023, Brightline was pretty much just an expensive TriRail, and it still did impressive numbers then.

Brightline is also not meant to be TriRail, it has far more reach/distance than TriRail, and even if it was meant to be just a commuter line, it still gets to destinations considerably faster than TriRail. Not sure what delays are like on TriRail, but I'd imagine Brightline is better about that too
 #1637544  by Gilbert B Norman

From Marriott Biscayne Bay Miami---

First, I feel SOOO gypped :( ; United substituted a 737-800 in place of the MAX to get down here yesterday.

I think my MCO joyride will need wait until my full week trip to Boca next month, but Tri-Rail from Miami Central to WP today is still on. Looks as if I'll be first around here to claim that one.

And finally, for my first "love in this life" - classical music, the Cleveland Orchestra concert last night was simply "superb".
 #1638665  by Bob Roberts

Just finished a MCO-Miami joyride.

The good:
  • Station quality was great. Felt like a swankier DB.
  • Siemens equipment was fully functional and showing no signs of wear (in Premier class)
  • Ride quality was excellent on the new tracks and very good on the old FEC
  • Ridership seemed, fine. The Monday, mid-day train seemed to be half full leaving MCO and about 85% full leaving WPB. Seemed odd there was no stop north of WPB
  • I have read a bunch about the dangerous grade crossings on the FEC. I was surprised that they were fewer in number than I expected and appeared to be well controlled w double gates. This is not to say they are fine, but much better situation than I expected.
The less good:
  • About 5 minutes from MCO station we were held for nearly 10 minutes waiting for a westbound train to clear the single track segment. I do understand the economics of single tracking that relatively short, freight-free segment, but it seemed like a big sacrifice for a service trying to emphasize speed in its marketing
  • Five slow zones en route, every slow zone and signal hold sent the attendant to the PA to make an apologetic announcement
  • Service, both at stations and onboard, was very good. But this was a surprisingly labor-intensive operation, both at stations and onboard
  • Wrap on windows really irritates me
  • Only saw one, relatively short, freight heading North
  • Seems like service to I drive and Tampa would be a significant boon to ridership
  • I have a hard time seeing this model work where Brightline has less control over the tracks. The premium service model falls apart pretty quickly when reliability is poor.
Riding the Star back to NC tomorrow (I hope). I suspect the adjustment to Amtrak service will be tough.
 #1638680  by daybeers

Thanks for the review, Bob! Disappointing to see slow orders and having to wait 10 mins for the westbound train. Were you on time into MIA?

The full wrap with dots on all windows is idiotic and not pulling me to get all the way down there to check it out.
 #1638683  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you Mr. Roberts for your thorough Trip Report. Maybe I'll have something worthwhile to add after my planned Boca-MCO joyride next week.

Regarding several of your points, possibly your Northbound (compass West) train was held at the St Lucie River for a bridge opening. Just like the Fairfield Navy, the St Lucie and Martin Navies want that bridge opened when they want it opened. It's probably too much to expect to have an (ostensibly) private sector outfit to fund an elevated bridge over the river as publicly funded Tri Rail wss able to do at the New River near Ft. Lauderdale.

The shrink wrapped cars are simply a revenue source; how many beyond joyriding railfans could care about looking out at the "strip mall and swamp" scenery the FEC offers up (crashing surf was only in King Henry's mind)?

Now finally, why can't Brightline share with the traveling public their train numbers? Of course they have them. Airline flight numbers are public knowledge - and Brightline is pitching their product (and pricing: my WP to MCS ride two Sundays ago was $84 in Premium - no room in Smart, which would have been fine as I'd already had my allotment of Grape Juice for the day).
 #1638730  by Matt Johnson

I hope you have a smooth uneventful journey and I think you'll like the service! I was impressed when I rode the entire route earlier this month. I gather you've taken Brightline before but now with service north of West Palm Beach it becomes a true intercity high speed train - something I never thought I'd see happen in Florida! I lucked out and got the Bright Red trainset out of Orlando, which recently had the wrap removed. On the return I had a wrapped train and it really does make looking out the window less enjoyable to me. I have read that Brightline is going to remove the wraps from all trains due to customer feedback - we'll see. I have no problem with wrapping the train, as long as they leave the windows clear.
 #1639072  by Gilbert B Norman

From Hilton Suites Boca Raton---

Look what Brightline is now selling:

https://www.gobrightline.com/train-tickets/passes

Looks likes all the rides you want for $1200 a month.

As for myself, today its down to Miami in Coach and back. $51.70 including $10 for parking at Boca.
 #1639077  by JohnFromJersey

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:11 am From Hilton Suites Boca Raton---

Look what Brightline is now selling:

https://www.gobrightline.com/train-tickets/passes

Looks likes all the rides you want for $1200 a month.

As for myself, today its down to Miami in Coach and back. $51.70 including $10 for parking at Boca.
If you book in advance, Miami - Orlando is 59 bucks one way, 118 two way. Do that 5 times a week for a month, it costs 2950 bucks a month.

Good deal, I suppose, if you are finding yourself constantly going between South and Central Florida
 #1639087  by Gilbert B Norman

From Brightline parking lot Boca Raton--

Looking around, plenty of Escalades, Lexus, Bimmers, Teslas. Not too many, if any, at the other end.

Again, at Breakfast, I said to a gal I was taking the train to Miami. "Brightline?" was the response to which I said "absolutely".
 #1639090  by Gilbert B Norman

Aboard Brightline #?????

Set is Bright Yellow shrink wrapped to plug Kissimmee.

If you are a "picture taker", sorry 'bout that.

My seat in center car; very smooth.

But why can't they share with the public the train numbers?
 #1639116  by Gilbert B Norman

Aboard Brightline #???? (345P MCS)

This set is Bright Pink

Train is "virtually full" and is about.to depart on-time.

Forward riding; center car what more could I ask?

It appears that only I has a print newspaper with them.
 #1639159  by Gilbert B Norman

From Hilton Suites Boca Raton--

All booked for a McCoy joyride tomorrow; $374 worth of it!!!

But then, this is a world where people with less financial standing than I, will pay $8000 A TICKET to see some cute scantily clad girl with Red lipstick on stage (and jumbotron, I presume) strumming her guitar.

But all told, the days of Brightline with $10."Disneyland Joyrides" are over
If they can command those rates, go for it!!!!

Finally, they have added a Seat Selection tab, complete with a seat map (including if Forward Riding) so you can pick what you want.
 #1639169  by JohnFromJersey

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:58 am From Brightline parking lot Boca Raton--

Looking around, plenty of Escalades, Lexus, Bimmers, Teslas. Not too many, if any, at the other end.
That's Boca for you. When I was down in SoFlo for school in 2019 and 2020, Boca was known for being a very ritzy town.