Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1638487  by Railjunkie

NaugyRR wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:16 pm Just drove past South Street in Rensselaer, just south of the station and saw a train stopped with a bunch of police cars and an ambulance. I'm guessing a trespasser got clipped, but I hope everyone's ok.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Trespasser train intercourse, how the heck you manage to get hit there I will never know. Trains are slowing down for the station and not traveling terribly fast and it is wide open. That spot is a popular cut through for the locals, from what I was told they just walked right out in front of the train. Never looked.
Don't know the condition of the trespasser.
 #1638489  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:35 pm Trespasser train intercourse, how the heck you manage to get hit there I will never know. Trains are slowing down for the station and not traveling terribly fast and it is wide open. That spot is a popular cut through for the locals, from what I was told they just walked right out in front of the train. Never looked.
Don't know the condition of the trespasser.
Rensselaer's News 10 says fatal.
 #1638493  by MACTRAXX

RW: ABC10 Albany - "Train Accident" makes this sound much worse then it actually was...
"TRESPASSER Incident" is the description that SHOULD be used...

"Pedestrian" can leave doubts in some minds that the other "party" involved - in this case the TRAIN -
could be somehow at fault for the cause...I have seen "Collision" used in some instances which again
conjures up images that are more serious than the actual situation bad as this one was...

RJ: Was this incident recorded on head-end camera? What would not surprise me is that the person struck
was using a smartphone or other hand-held device - perhaps along with headphones or ear buds...
And was simply NOT paying attention to their surroundings while walking...
Pure speculation on my part...MACTRAXX
 #1638571  by Railjunkie

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:51 pm RW: ABC10 Albany - "Train Accident" makes this sound much worse then it actually was...
"TRESPASSER Incident" is the description that SHOULD be used...

"Pedestrian" can leave doubts in some minds that the other "party" involved - in this case the TRAIN -
could be somehow at fault for the cause...I have seen "Collision" used in some instances which again
conjures up images that are more serious than the actual situation bad as this one was...

RJ: Was this incident recorded on head-end camera? What would not surprise me is that the person struck
was using a smartphone or other hand-held device - perhaps along with headphones or ear buds...
And was simply NOT paying attention to their surroundings while walking...
Pure speculation on my part...MACTRAXX
The forward facing camera should have it, can't see why not. Also there are cameras at the station that face in that direction.
 #1641351  by NaugyRR

Not much info in the report, but I just saw there's been another trespasser strike...
https://wnyt.com/top-stories/man-hit-ki ... in-albany/
Fair Use (Basically the whole report...)
A man was hit and killed by a train in Albany on Wednesday night.

The incident happened just before 6 p.m. in the area of Prospect Avenue and Terminal Street, Albany Police said.
I hope your coworkers are faring well, Railjunkie.
 #1641375  by Railjunkie

NaugyRR wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm Not much info in the report, but I just saw there's been another trespasser strike...
https://wnyt.com/top-stories/man-hit-ki ... in-albany/
Fair Use (Basically the whole report...)
A man was hit and killed by a train in Albany on Wednesday night.

The incident happened just before 6 p.m. in the area of Prospect Avenue and Terminal Street, Albany Police said.
I hope your coworkers are faring well, Railjunkie.
Kinda weird how the world works, the young man in question was related to my moms husband through a previous marriage.

As for the crew, from what I've heard they are not taking it well, you never know how you are going to handle such a situation until your in it. We have a program set up for these situations and the gentleman who runs it is awesome at his job. If they need help they will get it.
 #1641388  by NaugyRR

I always used to laugh at my dad when he'd go on about the ten degrees of separation thing and how small the world gets as you get older. As I've gotten older I experience more and more (although I still laugh at my old man, keeps him on his toes). It's unfortunate that this coincidence for you occurred as it did.

My heart goes out to the crew, and I'm glad that good help is available to them should they seek it.