Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1638116  by commuterjoe

During the steam era on the Long Beach branch, were locomotives always in front of the train and push in one direction, or runaround at the terminal? Were there any steam servicing facilities in Long Beach?
 #1638182  by MACTRAXX

Steve - I have a question concerning the Wreck Lead Drawbridge between Island Park and Long Beach:
Was there any locomotive types prohibited from operating over this bridge before it was replaced in 1988?

For those unaware the Wreck Lead Drawbridge was a timber trestle that was somewhat close to water level
with a small draw span near the Island Park end and was known not to be in the best condition...

On a personal note I joined RR.Net 19 years ago today - this is the type of historical information that
I like to find out about or contribute towards as a member - with LIRR history being a perfect example...
It's been quite a "ride" and may it continue onward...MACTRAXX
 #1638222  by MACTRAXX

Steve - I was able to answer my own question using the LIRR May 25, 1970 Employee Timetable
that I use for reference - from SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:

Page 376 - Rule 1038-A - Lead Drawbridge: Class AS-6 locomotives 15 MPH; All other types PROHIBITED.
Page 389 - Rule 1160-B - Cars exceeding 210,000 pounds are prohibited between LEAD and Long Beach...

Other LIRR ETTs should be able to provide which locomotives were restricted from using the LEAD Bridge...
Before 1955 for steam locomotives and 1988 and before for more recent diesel types in Special Instructions...

Just a thought - Do you keep any past LIRR ETTs for reference yourself? They can be good to have to look up
historical questions such as this one...Even having just ONE handy to use can help...MACTRAXX
MACTRAXX
 #1638299  by Kelly&Kelly

Photos show steam trains on the Long Beach Branch with the engine west pushing equipment eastward. I don't know if that was regular practice or not. I do know that often the smaller engines were operated in reverse without being turned.

There is a photo prior to the relocation of Long Beach station in 1909, of a wye track in the meadows in the vicinity of Lincoln Boulevard and Penn Street, along with a small engine house. When the new station was built, and for the short time before it was electrified there was also a wye track to the west in the bed of of Fulton Street. That was removed around 1913. There was also a substantial freight yard and large freight house several blocks west of the present station by the bay that was dismantled in the mid-1930s.

Before electrification, small engines known as "ping pongs" were used for this suburban service, as they were also used on local branches like the Port Washington... They had headlights on the tender so they could be operated in either direction.

The civil restriction on the old Lead trestle changed many times throughout the years, and the condition of the thing deteriorated and repairs were made. In its last months, speed was restricted to 5 MPH, with unnecessary acceleration and braking prohibited.