Railroad Forums 

• What happens when Amtrak engines get busted

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1637751  by STrRedWolf

A question from another railfan off a Telegram group I'm in was wondering what happens to accident-involved engines. I know the first ALC-42/Charger got wrecked last year, and the P40 involved in the recent Colorado wreck looks in sad shape. Does Amtrak rebuild these?
 #1637755  by electricron

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:13 am A question from another railfan off a Telegram group I'm in was wondering what happens to accident-involved engines. I know the first ALC-42/Charger got wrecked last year, and the P40 involved in the recent Colorado wreck looks in sad shape. Does Amtrak rebuild these?
Depends upon how much money is needed to repair them. The P42 locomotives have very little value left reaching end of life, so I do not expect as many of them will get repaired anymore. The ALC-42 is just at beginning of life, so it has far more value and the costs to repair it might be low enough to make the repair worthwhile.
 #1637765  by Gilbert B Norman

Surprising, but neither ACS-64 electric locomotive at Frankford Jct (601) and Chester (627) incidents, have been returned to service.
You'd think the "Legal Beagles" would be done with them by now; however, I'm sure they have been stripped for parts.
 #1637778  by jp1822

ACS-64 #601 I would say is beyond repair. I did get a chance to see this motor up close and it was pretty badly wrecked. I believe there's a report out there that even has it "written off."

The #627 looks like it could be fixed, but the front impact into the MOW was pretty extreme.

Disclaimer - Just my opinion, not an expert in this field, but certainly seen a lot of banged up Amtrak equipment over the years. Agree, Mr. Norman, hopefully they were able to get parts out at least!
 #1637905  by MACTRAXX

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:13 am A question from another railfan off a Telegram group I'm in was wondering what happens to accident-involved engines. I know the first ALC-42/Charger got wrecked last year, and the P40 involved in the recent Colorado wreck looks in sad shape. Does Amtrak rebuild these?
RW: You should have used "Wrecked" or even "Damaged" to describe this topic...

When I read "Busted" I automatically thought "Arrested" or "Handcuffed and Shackled"... :wink:
I remembered the classic Ray Charles song "Busted" (video with lyrics)

It seems every time that rail equipment is involved in a wreck there is some evaluation to see if a
particular locomotive (in this case) can be repaired and placed back in service...If not does it have a use such as becoming a parts donor for others in service? Most likely a total write-off and scrapping only occurs when the damage is extensive (and for that matter too expensive) going forward...

A forced "Early Retirement" could be another thought with any aging locomotive involved in a mishap...
MACTRAXX
 #1637963  by Ken W2KB

MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:14 pm
RW: You should have used "Wrecked" or even "Damaged" to describe this topic...

When I read "Busted" I automatically thought "Arrested" or "Handcuffed and Shackled"... :wink:
I remembered the classic Ray Charles song "Busted" (video with lyrics)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ReAgDSt80j0&pp

It seems every time that rail equipment is involved in a wreck there is some evaluation to see if a
particular locomotive (in this case) can be repaired and placed back in service...If not does it have a use such as becoming a parts donor for others in service? Most likely a total write-off and scrapping only occurs when the damage is extensive (and for that matter too expensive) going forward...

A forced "Early Retirement" could be another thought with any aging locomotive involved in a mishap...
MACTRAXX
Yes, locomotives cannot be arrested. It is my understanding that the only type of transportation equipment that can be arrested is a ship for actions related to operation on the high seas and some navigable waterways. A US Federal District Court judge sitting in admiralty jurisdiction will issue an arrest warrant, usually served upon the ship by a US Marshall, upon the filing of a bona fide complaint by a plaintiff seeking compensation for damages. The warrant is usually served by the US Marshall boarding the vessel and attaching a copy of the warrant to the mast or wheelhouse and copy served up the captain or highest officer present at the time. Thereafter the ship must remain at that berth until the court process including a trial if the matter is not disposed of otherwise, is completed.
 #1637976  by Railjunkie

My OJTI knew the history of all the wreck rebuilds. One night while going out to SYR he asked me if I knew about the one we were on I told him no. He tapped the headliner and fine silt came out. Told me it was the one that took a swim in the some river or bayou.
Albany does get some light wreck repairs.
 #1637980  by Gilbert B Norman

Ken W2KB wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:38 pm Yes, locomotives cannot be arrested. It is my understanding that the only type of transportation equipment that can be arrested is a ship for actions related to operation on the high seas and some navigable waterways. A US Federal District Court judge sitting in admiralty jurisdiction will issue an arrest warrant, usually served upon the ship by a US Marshall, upon the filing of a bona fide complaint by a plaintiff seeking compensation for damages. The warrant is usually served by the US Marshall boarding the vessel and attaching a copy of the warrant to the mast or wheelhouse and copy served up the captain or highest officer present at the time. Thereafter the ship must remain at that berth until the court process including a trial if the matter is not disposed of otherwise, is completed.
Mr. Brown, you are a Member of the (NJ, I presume) Bar, and I'm just a retired CPA (IL), but something leads me to believe that the same doctrine applicable to maritime vessels as you outlined also applies to aircraft.

I'm thinking of the (to me) very poignant passages from a book "Splash of Colors" by John J. Nance (former Braniff Captain as ABC News Aviation Safety Consultant) describing the chaos and confusion regarding Braniff Airways' shutdown of their international service and bankruptcy. They had to carefully time the Petition's (remember, you "petition" as distinct from the vernacular "declare") filing so that no aircraft was on the ground in a foreign jurisdiction which would lead to a potential seizure of it.

Finally, I know of a personal injury matter against Amtrak where the Plaintiff attempted to seize an Amtrak engine; apparently without success.
 #1638072  by Tadman

Splash of colors was a good book. I think that was the book where I learned title to the aircraft is transferred while flying over a very low sales tax state. I wonder if EMD hands over the title in a similar manner. Perhaps that's why CSX ferries locomotives all over the map just to get to Selkirk.
 #1638073  by ExCon90

At one time, on either PC or Conrail, there was a standing order that all trains operating through Harrisburg were required to top up the fuel tanks there, regardless of immediate need, to take advantage of the lower cost -- whether state taxes or a favorable contract with a supplier I don't know.
 #1638190  by Tadman

I think the same happens in Gary or Hammond on account of Illinois fuel prices.

Also the Monon would pull the F3 off their passenger trains in Hammond and put on a RS2 becuase the RS2 was bidirectional. It saved them the cost of turning the F3 at Dearborn Station. I guess if you turn 2 passenger trains per day 365/year it adds up on a little line like that. By the time the southbound came back to Hamond, the F3 was turned, fueled, and watered and the RS2 was traded out and sent back to run transfers.