• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JohnFromJersey

That was apparently a rail grinder from a company that deals with them, not a brush cutter that is being used by DRRR
  by Tanker1497

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:11 pm Not to be a spreader of rumors, but a trusted member of one of the Facebook groups, who has been consistently posting quality videos of the DRRR work on these lines, stated that he spoke with a C&D guy back at the October 13 ceremony, and that the C&D guy said that DRRR will be clearing all the way down to Lakehurst, and also clear the TRIT.
I am sure hoping they believe they can recover revenue on the TRIT but am worried that clearing of OOS track on the TRIT is a requirement to keep it OOS and not Abandon. This has been a requirement/practice on Claytons 13 mile stretch for many many years. Remember I spoke directly with Kean at the Golden Spike Ceremony.
"He said we don't go don't down there much (TR) we're never going down there".
I can make this statement because it was said directly to me and NOT second hand. Truly I hope things have changed. Having more that 5 customers would really strengthen up the Southern.
  by JohnFromJersey

Clearing the TRIT, to me, seems like it would be more about preserving that RoW for NJT, if they ever decide to run commuter trains down there, which is their intention, but there are too many moving pieces for that to be a consideration at this time.

All the property along the TRIT has slowly went from being mostly industrial to mostly residential/non-industrial commercial. The only customer there that would make sense would be Builders' General, but two cars a week tops for all the work needed down there is insane.
  by Tanker1497

JohnFromJersey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:25 pm Clearing the TRIT, to me, seems like it would be more about preserving that RoW for NJT, if they ever decide to run commuter trains down there, which is their intention, but there are too many moving pieces for that to be a consideration at this time.

All the property along the TRIT has slowly went from being mostly industrial to mostly residential/non-industrial commercial. The only customer there that would make sense would be Builders' General, but two cars a week tops for all the work needed down there is insane.
Not sure why you didn't include Suburban Propane they still have switch to trit, Builders General has both road and yard paved over.
  by Tanker1497

Fire company has fire hose across tracks in Lakewood for large building
Fire dispatch contacting C&D letting them know.
  by Bracdude181

Apparently Dinaso Lumber has burnt down? Will check tomorrow. Not surprised if it is Dinaso as homeless people have been living in there and lighting fires to keep warm despite code enforcement declaring the building to be unsafe 3 weeks prior. Hopefully no one hurt or dead. Plenty of flammable stuff in there...

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

by Bracdude181

Yup thats the building that they were burning pallets in for warmth. Hopefully everyone is OK.

by AceMacSD

Tanker1497 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:53 pm
JohnFromJersey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:25 pm Clearing the TRIT, to me, seems like it would be more about preserving that RoW for NJT, if they ever decide to run commuter trains down there, which is their intention, but there are too many moving pieces for that to be a consideration at this time.

Not sure why you didn't include Suburban Propane they still have switch to trit, Builders General has both road and yard paved over.
Suburban propane property was sold. Last I hear it's going to be some medical outpatient offices. We looked for business down there. Only one potential customer that wants less than one car load a year doesn't justify a means to rebuild the line. Oh and BTW, their supplier doesn't ship by rail either, so you can scrub that. The area's been too overdeveloped.
  by Bracdude181

North at 7th Street 11:11 am

Pictures of Dinaso to follow later

by Bracdude181

West through Freehold 12:10 PM

Freehold yard being rebuilt FINALLY

by JohnFromJersey

Tanker1497 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:53 pm Not sure why you didn't include Suburban Propane they still have switch to trit, Builders General has both road and yard paved over.
There was a discussion about SP a few months ago here, where it was concluded that SP will likely never see cars ever again. I passed by SP's property a few months ago, and it is pretty small compared to what it used to be, and whatever is left of the property is only used for storing some of their trucks.
AceMacSD wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:36 am Suburban propane property was sold. Last I hear it's going to be some medical outpatient offices. We looked for business down there. Only one potential customer that wants less than one car load a year doesn't justify a means to rebuild the line. Oh and BTW, their supplier doesn't ship by rail either, so you can scrub that. The area's been too overdeveloped.
They sold the tiny part of land where they have the big tank and store their trucks??? I wouldn't think they would have enough land to build a medical office there...

Who was that potential customer?
RailsEast wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:04 am Farewell to an old customer, Lakewood fire video for those interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDClDMduJQ
That is crazy that the same thing that happened to Gold's, happened to Dinaso
  by JohnFromJersey

I have been hearing reports that the bridge at Monmouth Battlefield Park has been severely damaged by someone who tried to pass under it, and it shifted completely, and can no longer be traversed.