• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CharlieL

new leg still has track equipment on it; they went push-pull. 752 leads, 1888 trailing from Farmingdale south. Freehold-Farmingdale the reverse, of course.
  by HazzanDan

I too saw that photo of many cars parked parallel to the track, just as if it were a curb on a regular street. It is obvious that those drivers have NO KNOWLEDGE of how wide a train is. So it is not their fault if they parked too close. The railroad should paint safety lines along the track, supplemented by warning signs, just as it did with the new grade crossings along the Freehold Secondary. Why wait for a collision and injuries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  by AWSmith

HazzanDan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:04 pm I too saw that photo of many cars parked parallel to the track, just as if it were a curb on a regular street. It is obvious that those drivers have NO KNOWLEDGE of how wide a train is. So it is not their fault if they parked too close. The railroad should paint safety lines along the track, supplemented by warning signs, just as it did with the new grade crossings along the Freehold Secondary. Why wait for a collision and injuries?

They could just drop precast jersey barriers there . Reed and Perrine have precast wall blocks along their lot so trucks don't foul the track. .
  by CharlieL

I would not be in favor of forcing the railroad to pay for jersey barriers to protect their ROW. Perhaps some trespass convictions would help. Or a few cases of tow/impound. I suspect some of these cases are intentional due to an antipathy towards the railroad.
  by HazzanDan

NOBODY would intentionally risk having his car hit by a train! These people are simply ignorant about how wide a train is. No other explanation. As for concrete barriers, they are unsuitable for this application. Line and sign should work just fine.

by Bracdude181

To my knowledge this is the first time in a few months where vehicle owners have been ticketed for fouling the tracks. Last time was due to a minivan blocking seventh street.

This parking spot, while illegal, is a popular one as people park there to go into Foodex. Often the store owners will announce over the PA system that people need to move their cars when the train is coming. Most run out to move when told they will be towed if they aren't moved LMAO

I am hoping that more is done to prevent incidents like this from happening again. It is unreal what the train crews have put up with going through Lakewood for the past 30 years. One of my pals remembers when people would rob the train and cut up the brake hoses!

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

by JohnFromJersey

HazzanDan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:22 pm NOBODY would intentionally risk having his car hit by a train! These people are simply ignorant about how wide a train is. No other explanation. As for concrete barriers, they are unsuitable for this application. Line and sign should work just fine.

This is the first time in recent memory, that so many cars were fouling the tracks at once. I would expect the residents of Lakewood to know how wide and large the trains are, given that the train passes through twice a week now, and honestly, I am surprised people would park on the same side of the street that is up against railroad tracks.
  by Tanker1497

HazzanDan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:04 pm I too saw that photo of many cars parked parallel to the track, just as if it were a curb on a regular street. It is obvious that those drivers have NO KNOWLEDGE of how wide a train is. So it is not their fault if they parked too close. The railroad should paint safety lines along the track, supplemented by warning signs, just as it did with the new grade crossings along the Freehold Secondary. Why wait for a collision and injuries?
There is a bright yellow line that whole lenght of track.
  by Tanker1497

I was at the fourth street location when the train arrived there were two cars that fouled the track, but they both left before the trail arrived. I went to Woodhaven and the delivery took about an hour. All those cars showed up in that hour.
  by AceMacSD

Tanker1497 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:43 am Did they use the new wye or still push pull?
We're putting on the finishing touches. Maybe a few more days. When alls done Sd40s'll be able to glide smoothly & quietly around that curve.
  by AceMacSD

HazzanDan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:22 pm NOBODY would intentionally risk having his car hit by a train! These people are simply ignorant about how wide a train is. No other explanation. As for concrete barriers, they are unsuitable for this application. Line and sign should work just fine.

Agree with you, sir. The average person doesn't know how wide a train is, nor do they care. They need a place to park, they see a spot, they take it. A lot of times they take that gamble that a train won't pass by. And yes sir, you're right. Jersey barriers won't work there. It's already been looked into.
  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:20 pm Happy New Year All.

I have been hearing that bridge work is supposed to start sooner rather than later, and that they are not waiting until the Spring to start the work.
Happy new year, Johnny boy!

Yes, bridge workplace start in a few weeks. We coordinated with NJT & Amtrak of the needs of service to support this project. Look for 31 to make tri-weekly runs to Bank for the duration. CR management was talking about changing 31's start time to have em on Church by noon.