Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak and Indianapolis

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1635881  by John_Perkowski

Beech Grove was Pennsylvania RR.
Wilmington Shops were Pennsylvania RR.
Bear Shops were built by DelPro in 1980, to build and service TOFC equipment. Amtrak bought the property in 1984
 #1635882  by Station Aficionado

Beech Grove was Big 4/NYC, then PC--not PRR.

Some years ago a state legislator in Michigan decided to try to force Amtrak to move the Beech Grove work to Michigan (maybe the remains of the MC shops at Jackson--I don't remember) in exchange for the state providing more money for the Wolverines and other Michigan trains. Didn't work.
 #1635890  by Gilbert B Norman

I "drove the Googlemobile" around Bear. From what I could see (Googlemobile will not go on to private property), the facility did not look of railroad origin. Take that "drive" and you will see it set way back from the street and with GRASS (somebody actually mows it no less) surrounding the property.

Aside from handling bi-level equipment, what can Beech Grove do that Bear cannot?

A parting thought; will Bear be safe with only Former President Biden (whether the case come '25, '29, or somewhere in between) as its Guardian Angel?
 #1635914  by west point

The Beech Grove property as of now only uses 1/3 of its total acreage. IMO that will enable expansion on that unused property. The only problem will be the ponds of water that might be considered wetlands. "IF" Indianapolis gets more Amtrak service Beech will be useful.

Any new location will have to be a long way from any city that could have sufficient Amtrak service. Georgia would be an ideal location however a facility would have to be a long way from Atlanta. However, ATL getting much service is not very likely giving the present political climate.

Out west any facility doesn't work without more north - south service,
 #1635915  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:31 am Aside from handling bi-level equipment, what can Beech Grove do that Bear cannot?

A parting thought; will Bear be safe with only Former President Biden (whether the case come '25, '29, or somewhere in between) as its Guardian Angel?
Good question. I don't know that part of Delaware very well, but can it be a labor force constraint? How many skilled electricians and stainless welders can you get out of that labor market at Amtrak rates? Is there a spatial constraint in terms of new buildings or yard trackage? (ETA - the place is surrounded by housing developments!)

Also it seems most railroads have 2-4 major shops to spread out the work.
 #1635946  by justalurker66

Does anyone have a GOOD answer to WHY Amtrak would spend money to move Beech Grove? The most common excuse I see is some sort of "punishment" to the state of Indiana for not paying for the Hoosier State.

The current arrangement is working.
 #1635982  by Tadman

I think we've figured out that the only punishment would be to Amtrak's bank account in a big way. You have a grossly expensive facility that is working well. Let it run.