Railroad Forums 

• NY&LB track See's daylight for first time since

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1635595  by Tanker1497

NY&LB railroad heading a southernly direction towards Sea Side at the very end of Twilight Ave. This rail has been exposed probably for the first time since the 1960's when it was consumed by over growth after being OOS shortly after the Barnegat Bay bridge burned Dec.1 1946
There is a large project with bringing in electric to Bay Head it's assumed this will be used for a building.
Attachments:
IMG_20231227_083047.jpg
IMG_20231227_083047.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 1165 times
IMG_20231227_083036.jpg
IMG_20231227_083036.jpg (5.26 MiB) Viewed 1165 times
 #1635782  by GSC

Not long ago, someone on one of these threads posted a bunch of pictures of rail still in existence on the causeway south of the "Junction" at Bay Head. A lot of it is still there. A few years back, a derrick was on that track right next to the loop and you'd find a caboose or bad-order coach parked there.
 #1635791  by pumpers

I wonder what the bill is to electrify Long Branch to Bay Head, both for the catenary and electrical work, substations, etc, and separately more MU's or head-end electric power to avoid having to change trains. I imagine there have been "studies."
Getting ahead of myself, but perhaps they could start by running the existing dual modes on electric the whole way. It would help the general push to "decarbonize" coming from Trenton without having to wait for $$ to buy more electric locos or MU's. .
 #1635793  by JohnFromJersey

I think a big thing stopping electrification between Long Branch and Bay Head, is the climate. The Coastline below Long Branch pretty much is crossing over some sort of salty water all the time, and all the areas it goes through are extremely prone to flooding. I'd imagine that the salt air would be detrimental to the catenary equipment, and flooding would not only be even more expensive to recuperate from, but would be downright dangerous with live wires near water.

The Coastline south of Long Branch doesn't seem to be very busy when it's not the months of May - September, so I don't think NJT would be saving much money converting to electric.