Railroad Forums 

• Charlotte Gateway Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1632273  by Bob Roberts

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:46 pm The only thing I can see here that's truly complicating things is the road that several of the tracks are crossing over. That road needs to be tunneled under with pedestrian access to get it grade separated. Other than that. some compaction against the NS main will probably help with the land issues.
Ironically the road was pencilled in to have a Silver Line (still vapor ware) LRT grade crossing. Nobody was going to complain about that grade crossing. I am sure whatever NCDOT gets pushed across Summit ave will be slower and less frequent than whatever the Silver Line was going to be.
 #1632274  by Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:10 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:46 pm The only thing I can see here that's truly complicating things is the road that several of the tracks are crossing over. That road needs to be tunneled under with pedestrian access to get it grade separated. Other than that. some compaction against the NS main will probably help with the land issues.
Ironically the road was pencilled in to have a Silver Line (still vapor ware) LRT grade crossing. Nobody was going to complain about that grade crossing. I am sure whatever NCDOT decides to push across Summit ave will be slower and less frequent than whatever the Silver Line was going to be.
 #1632310  by STrRedWolf

Bob Roberts wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:10 pm Ironically the road was pencilled in to have a Silver Line (still vapor ware) LRT grade crossing. Nobody was going to complain about that grade crossing. I am sure whatever NCDOT gets pushed across Summit ave will be slower and less frequent than whatever the Silver Line was going to be.
Light rail would of been two tracks. Existing freight rail is two tracks. What they want to put in is a four-track yard with repair shelter, with about three tracks crossing the road at multiple points. No, that's a decking over a road.