Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1630832  by Jeff Smith

Didn't see a topic on the K-line, but give me a heads up here if there is.

Talk about an extension to the year-old K-Line: metro.net

What we learned from our K Line Northern Extension community events

As we’re marking the first anniversary of the opening of the K Line, we’re also looking at how to bring it further north. Over the past few weeks, we held three community events to discuss the K Line Northern Extension, one of our most ambitious rail projects. The light rail project would continue the K Line from its current northern terminus at the Expo/Crenshaw station north through Mid–City, the Miracle Mile, West Hollywood, and eventually Hollywood.

Of course, its benefits would be felt far beyond those areas — from the South Bay all the way up to the San Fernando Valley. Not only would the project connect the K Line with four of Metro’s existing rail lines (the C, E, D, and B lines) and six of LA County’s busiest bus lines (the 2, 4, 16, 20, 720, and 33), but it would also provide Angelenos a one-seat ride from the Los Angeles Airport (LAX) to dozens of cultural attractions and job-rich areas. Nothing’s set in stone yet, but possibilities for station locations include Little Ethiopia, Museum Row, the Grove, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, and even the Hollywood Bowl.
 #1631100  by HenryAlan

My understanding has always been that there would be an extension at least as far as the D line. Pushing that further north to meet the B line is an excellent idea for serious consideration. Overall, I think the K-line represents the future of LA MTA rail construction. Los Angeles, though much more densely built up than most realize, lacks the centralization needed for a hub and spoke type of system. Nevertheless, most early lines were built on that premise, with convergence at or near the LA Civic Center. For the system to really reach full potential, a network of crosstown routes is essential.