Railroad Forums 

• Train 448 cancelled tomorrow

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1628084  by BR&P

Daughter & family are supposed to take 448 to Boston tomorrow (8-29), just got notification the train is cancelled due to electrical problems. Anybody hear any details?
 #1628100  by STrRedWolf

BR&P wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:59 pm Daughter & family are supposed to take 448 to Boston tomorrow (8-29), just got notification the train is cancelled due to electrical problems. Anybody hear any details?
Where were you picking up 448? That train that was to leave yesterday (8-28) was canceled due to Norfolk Southern's backend systems breaking down and killing PTC (see the Delays thread).
 #1628101  by BR&P

Thanks RedWolf. I'm not a frequent visitor to this section and didn't catch the thread until you pointed it out. Makes sense now.
 #1628111  by Railjunkie

I work there and didn't hear about it. I'm pretty good at keeping up with the LSL. I always like to see what surprises Chicago might have in store for us in ALB.
 #1628122  by BR&P

Railjunkie wrote:I work there and didn't hear about it. I'm pretty good at keeping up with the LSL. I always like to see what surprises Chicago might have in store for us in ALB.
I'm still not certain whether 48 AND 448 were annulled, or just 448. Bottom line was daughter's family rented a car and are driving to Boston. New technology is wonderful - until it has a glitch.
 #1628229  by Railjunkie

BR&P wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:31 am
Railjunkie wrote:I work there and didn't hear about it. I'm pretty good at keeping up with the LSL. I always like to see what surprises Chicago might have in store for us in ALB.
I'm still not certain whether 48 AND 448 were annulled, or just 448. Bottom line was daughter's family rented a car and are driving to Boston. New technology is wonderful - until it has a glitch.
Oh it was definitely canceled due to a IETMS outage on NS. The train did run Tuesday night. I know the station master was talking to the shop about getting a pair of engines ready for 448 on Wednesday once it arrived in Albany. Wasn't there today to watch the show on relief.

I will not get into the technology part of railroading other than to say its only going to get worse.
 #1628247  by BR&P

Railjunkie wrote:
I will not get into the technology part of railroading other than to say its only going to get worse.
You mean we need to go back to pencils, carbon paper and IBM punch cards? :wink: (Good luck getting someone willing to walk a dark freight yard at 0230 taking car numbers!)
 #1628281  by Railjunkie

BR&P wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:27 am
Railjunkie wrote:
You mean we need to go back to pencils, carbon paper and IBM punch cards? :wink: (Good luck getting someone willing to walk a dark freight yard at 0230 taking car numbers!)
If I remember correctly " Do Not Fold, Spindle or Mutilate." Carbon paper, hhmmm. Might still have a few sheets left from taking clearances in Canada. Worked second or third shift most of my career. Daylight is for those weird people who get up with that shinny orb in the sky. :-D