Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1626279  by Jeff Smith

Eliminating Mineola Stops: News12
LIRR pledges to roll out new changes to improve service for Oyster Bay riders
Riders are told to expect changes on the Long Island Rail Road’s Oyster Bay Branch. The changes come months after 1,400 riders signed a petition demanding faster service.

The MTA says three peak Oyster Bay trains will no longer stop at Mineola. Two are in the morning and the other is at night.

The schedule is being re-worked to improve real time transfers at Jamaica.

MTA officials tell us they plan on boosting service even more in the long-run - once they can lay more track between Oyster Bay and Locust Valley.
 #1626424  by Frank

I haven't heard of any plans to double track from east of Locust Valley Oyster Bay. It would be a good idea though.
 #1626434  by 4behind2

The News 12 MTA press release has to be part of a comedy routine.

Over the years the talking points regarding adding service on the Oyster Bay branch were:

-The need to add a third track Hicksville/New Hyde Park as there aren't enough "slots" for increased OB service.
-The need to extend Nassau Interlocking up the branch to East Williston to increase 'flexibility".
-We need to order new diesel equipment because we didn't order enough. Our consultants said so.
-Retrofitting M7's as battery powered units (Phil Eng's "Big Idea" at a study cost of 800,000 k) will increase service on the branch.

The results of all the capital outlay? Decreased service on the branch and elimination of the last MU service from East Williston to NY. Sounds like money less than well spent.
 #1626502  by MACTRAXX

JS and Everyone: The 3.8 mile single-track segment between Locust (Mile 29.1-Locust Valley) and Oyster Bay
(32.9) on the Oyster Bay Branch is low priority for any double track extension - if ever...

There are much larger priorities for LIRR short double track extensions - Y (east of Sayville at the end of Montauk
Branch double track - Mile 50.6) to Patchogue (53.9) - 3.3 miles - is the BEST example...

A second track segment of a similar length - Great Neck (13.9) to Port Washington (18.1) through Manhasset and
Plandome on the Port Washington Branch would offer much more flexibility - but would be VERY costly because
of either adding to or outright replacing the single-track Manhasset Viaduct...

As 4/2 mentions not running any MU trains over the mile and a half electrified segment between Mineola and
East Williston stands out - Weekday Peak AM Train #1501 ended with "The Problem" service reductions in 2020...

The new Oyster Bay Branch schedule should be interesting to review after it is released by the MTA...MACTRAXX
 #1626596  by workextra

Someone seriously dropped the ball by not installing the oyster scoot track at mineola north of ML3 making it run into a bumper block just under the blvd Bridge. All it needed was a 2 possibly 3 cars capacity and using 2. 2 car sets run oyster bay scoots all day with the exception of a few rush hour through services.
The change of equipment would be later in the day Jamaica-oby trains which would swap the scoots outs
That’s how you solve the oyster bay problem.
 #1626620  by MACTRAXX

WE - I agree with you about using shuttles/scoots between Mineola and Oyster Bay during off-peak hours...
There looks to be sufficient room for a stub-end track and platform with a capacity of three cars at Mineola
paralleling Platform A/Track 3 between Main Street and the Mineola Boulevard Bridge as mentioned...

There may end up being complaints with the loss of some one-seat rides to Jamaica from OB Branch riders...
OB Branch equipment swaps can run as regular revenue trains as needed instead of being a deadhead move...
This could go to try and resolve at least some of the OB Branch current problems - agreed...MACTRAXX
 #1626644  by 4behind2

All of what was stated above was tried in 1983-1984 with disastrous results. The riders revolted with many going to Syosset or Douglaston to avoid the branch. Politicians on the branch became involved and the schedule reverted to mostly what it was before. As the pamphlet of the era said, "simply change at Mineola" became a non issue.
 #1628198  by Jeff Smith

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta- ... -customers
Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) today detailed previously announced schedule changes that will take effect Tuesday, Sept. 5, on the Oyster Bay Branch. These changes, which will result in less crowding and shorter travel times, were made as a result of community feedback and engagement with elected officials.

The series of changes also reflect recent ridership patterns following the railroad’s most recent rewrite of schedules supporting a historic service increase of 41% on Feb. 27, with the opening of full service at Grand Central Madison.

“We are so thrilled to be able to make these improvements for our Oyster Bay Branch customers. The changes we announced today are the result of many conversations with the region’s elected officials, community leaders and commuters,” said LIRR Interim President and Metro-North Railroad President Catherine Rinaldi. “Despite our operational challenges and limitations, these improvements show a willingness to work with our riders and make adjustments wherever possible to improve their commutes.”

Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 5, the following service changes will be in effect:

The 6:55 a.m. train from Oyster Bay to Hunterspoint Avenue will depart 6 minutes later at 7:01 a.m. and will only make stops at Locust Valley, Glen Street, Glen Head, Roslyn, East Williston, and Jamaica.

Customers for the 7:17 a.m. train from Oyster Bay to Hunterspoint Avenue traveling to Penn Station will be able to change to a new train originating at Jamaica instead of connecting with a train already carrying passengers from Babylon.

Schedules are available in the TrainTime app and online at https://new.mta.info/schedules.

“This is a direct result of efforts by local residents,” said State Senator Jack M. Martins. “Anytime you can make it easier for people to get to and from work, it means there’s more time for them to do the things they love with family and friends. That means a better quality of life and I applaud any effort to make that happen.”

“I am extremely pleased with these changes which are intended to enhance rider efficiency,” said Assembly Member Charles Lavine. “They were accomplished through steady dialogue with the MTA. While I look forward to continuing to build on the progress made here, we will monitor progress and recommend any necessary modifications we believe can make for an even better commute for riders of the Oyster Bay branch.”

“I am pleased that the MTA LIRR has added a second express train to its morning schedule for our Oyster Bay line commuters,” said Assembly Member Jake Blumencranz. “This is a promising start, and I am looking forward to continuing to be part of this collaborative effort to improve the efficiency of the Oyster Bay line for our commuters.”

“I want to thank the MTA and everyone involved for hearing the pleas of Oyster Bay line riders,” said Glen Cove Mayor Pamela Panzenbeck. “And changing the schedule to make their commutes easier, more convenient and more expedient.”

“As riders it’s important we start somewhere and while these steps don’t solve the problem, they are positive movement forward and I would hope that commuters will see this as a start to continued improvement on our branch,” said City of Glen Cove Council Member Danielle Fugazy. “My hope is that these changes are our first of many as we look to move forward with more meaningful change that will improve our quality of life. I remain committed to working toward better service on the Oyster Bay branch and to working with the MTA.”
 #1628200  by 4behind2

Nothing like self congratulation from politicians. And Rinaldi is being less than truthful with her "operational challenges and limitations" quote. See my earlier posts on the matter.