• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Allouette

Amtrak Vermonter 54 truncated at New Haven today due to more rainfall in Vermont and Massachusetts. 57 cancelled before it left St. Albans. Bus substitution only south of White River Jct.
  by NHV 669

56 two hours late into WRJ last night, due to sitting at SPG for 40 minutes, and then spending over an hour at the E. Northfield signal due to a G&W dispatch issue.
  by Literalman

Does anyone know what happened to train 291, the Ethan Allen, in Vermont on Aug. 3-4? My wife and I were on it. It was stopped south of Middlebury by floods and washouts. We were proceeding at about 10 mph when the train jolted to a stop. Some passengers were saying that the train had gone off the tracks. The cafe attendant was the only crew member around, so I asked whether we could get an announcement. The cafe attendant said that the crew was walking the train and when the crew had information, we would get an announcement. Soon people were heading toward the rear of the train. They said they had been told to go there, but it was passengers telling one another. After a while a guy in a yellow vest (a track inspector) told us that the engine and first car were in trouble and that they would be detached and the rest of the train would back up to a grade crossing to be met by buses, which it did. Strangely, the next day Amtrak was saying that both 290 and 291 were operating on time or close to it, which seemed unbelievable considering that there had been washouts the night before. On Saturday morning our train from Burlington to New York was canceled, with no substitute transportation provided.
  by Railjunkie

The train you were on part of it made over a washed out area of tracks and was stopped. Amt 290 the next day I believe started out of Rutland and if I have my days straight AMT291 only made it to Saratoga.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Could Amtrak ever be so informative?

Ubersee-Traunstein appears to be a 15 klick stretch to the East of Lake Chemise, which is East of Munich and big enough to be visible on anybody's map.

Honestly, what do I care; can't get into the hotel in Salzburg tomorrow until 3P, so "gets there when it gets there" is fine by me.

But who knows, might there be a "Busersatz"?
  by STrRedWolf

Hurricane Hilary starting to affect Amtrak service as precautionary cancellations are starting to roll in via Twitter/X/whatever-Musk-wants-to-call-it-now:

Southwest Chief 3(19) terminating in Albuquerque.
Sunset Limited 1(19) canceled.
Cali Zephyr 5(15) terminated at Grand Junction, 6(18) terminated at Salt Lake City
Texas Eagle 421(18) terminated San Antonio
  by Allouette

I was in San Diego for a family event, scheduled to fly out on Sunday the 20th. A cancelled flight with no open space to rebook at SAN meant seeking options - specifically LAX. Caught train 777 at 12:01 PM. The train was packed, with folks off of the cancelled 10:01AM train, and others who had hoped to use a later train - those were all cancelled. Signal problems, a flash flood warning (speed limited to 30 mph on sections) and the Ojai earthquake meant the train was an hour late into LAX, but it was still moving.
  by west point

Now starting 3rd week no Crescent service south of ATL. Supposodly NS invoked impossible heat related slow orders? All this after CN heat orders and NTSB report of EB derailment.
  by STrRedWolf

Norfolk Southern signal outage FUBAR's freight/passenger service
A technology glitch that affected several Norfolk Southern systems — including positive train control and its freight yard operating system –— caused delays across the railroad today.
VRE and some Amtrak routes were affected, causing some train cancellations like 66 and 138 (not in the article but reported in some train chats I'm in). Cresent, Piedmont, Pennsylvanian, Blue Water, Wolverine, some NEC Regionals.
  by STrRedWolf

Hurricane Idalia's also canceling service. Per Amtrak:

Monday: Silver services terminate in Jacksonville, no alt transport available.
Tues/Wed: Auto Train 52/53 canceled. Silver services canceled. Palmetto truncated NYP to WAS.
  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:47 am Hurricane Idalia's also canceling service. Per Amtrak:

Tues/Wed: Auto Train 52/53 canceled. Silver services canceled. Palmetto truncated NYP to WAS.
There was a time when we ran trains now if it looks like rain or snow we shut the place down. This isn't an airline its a railroad. Before you all get upset I know its OMG what if... Lawyers that... Twenty five years ago when I started stuff like this happened we were the only thing moving. People were happy about it. I collected Amtrak, bus, and airline tickets. Received many thanks from people for getting them close to where they wanted to be, or hey I didn't even know a train went here.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Whatever happened to the New Haven's "Center to Center All Weather Service" tagline, or for that matter the Lackawanna's "Your trip is Weather-Proof"?
  by rcthompson04

Railjunkie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:14 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:47 am Hurricane Idalia's also canceling service. Per Amtrak:

There was a time when we ran trains now if it looks like rain or snow we shut the place down. This isn't an airline its a railroad. Before you all get upset I know its OMG what if... Lawyers that... Twenty five years ago when I started stuff like this happened we were the only thing moving. People were happy about it. I collected Amtrak, bus, and airline tickets. Received many thanks from people for getting them close to where they wanted to be, or hey I didn't even know a train went here.
How much of this is driven by Amtrak or the host railroads? For example, it is known in the trucking business that the larger carriers openly encourage state governments to impose travel advisories / restrictions so they can proclaim force majerie and basically delay deliveries.