Railroad Forums 

• Hermon/No Maine Junction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1626886  by riffian

Looking for info on current operations and customers around Northern Maine Junction on CP (BAR), CSX (MEC). Who are the current customers in the area and what local jobs serve them?? I understand the logistics firm has shut down and I also read a (railfan) report that the B&A roundhouse was being torn down - not sure how reliable that report is. Any information about one of my favorite places would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill Root
Barstow, Calif Hospital, class of '46
Barstow High School Riffians, class of '64
 #1627180  by CVRA7

We were up there a few weeks ago. Couldn't get close to the B&A roundhouse at Northern Maine Jct - cable gates on the access road. The last I knew was that the turntable had been removed and the building - seemed to be in good shape - was being used for heavy equipment maintenance. Track leading from the main line totally overgrown now. The B&A oofice building by the MEC main line looked gutted - and hopefully being prepared for rebuilding. The former B&A and MEC coal towers remain. Up in one of the B&A yards we noticed the logistics was closed up as you reported. Yard office had new CPKC identification. Just one engine there - a CP GP??? rebuild. I also heard that a rather run-down B&A roundhouse at the former Derby Shops ( now a freight car repair business) was torn down sometime in the previous few years.
 #1627300  by riffian

Thanks for the updated info. I guess since there was an engine , they must still have a crew that goes on duty there Not sure whether CP or CSX.
 #1627409  by riffian

I understand the situation of the two lines both recently absorbed by Class Ones. I wasn't clear on who's Geep the previous post referred to. There used to be a good bit of local business on both MEC and B&A in the No Main Junction area. A flyover on goggle maps would seem to indicate there are only a couple of LPG facilities still active in the area.

Is there still a CP Searsport job still based here? Does CSX continue the operation of NM-1? I was under the impression that it was mostly involved in dealing with the environmental cleanup (outbound dirty dirt) of the chemical plant in Orrington. My railfanning in the area consists totally of youtube and social media, with a trip back to Maine every 3 or 4 years. I was looking for an update on operations and remaining customers. Its my underswtanding the CSX intends to rebuild the line all the was to Keag and run the 426/427 symbols all the way from Selkirk to the connection at Keag.
 #1627552  by newpylong

The line to Keag is currently in the process of being rebuilt. Best to follow on the CSX ex-PAR forum for more details.