Railroad Forums 

• All this time, hoping to catch some activity, its been severed

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1626866  by SST

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I had an interesting and funny surprise yesterday. I had to take my boat trailer in for a tire repair [annoying chronic leak] and while he repaired it, I rode my bike around the Tonawanda area where the I-190 and I-290 meet and where the RR bridge crosses overhead.

While riding on Grand Island Blvd, I crossed over the tracks that cross over the highway. Show's no evidence of wear and tear on the rails. Typical corrosion due to non-use. Then I ride on along the river for a few miles. As I came back, I looked twice at the track again and thought I saw a wye. So I got off my bike and hiked in. What I saw I totally unexpected. No wonder I haven't seen any traffic...Its been severed from the same track that feeds NOCO with tank cars. Gave me a good laugh. Maybe somebody else will have the date when it was disconnected. I have no idea. I'll try and post some sizable pics...

This pic is looking over the bridge at the I-190 merge. Lots of corrosion.
Looking at rails going over I-190
Looking at rails going over I-190
IMG_1017.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 845 times
Same position as above but opposite view
Same position as above but opposite view
IMG_1016.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 838 times
Attachments:
Where it was severed. NOCO track after bike
Where it was severed. NOCO track after bike
IMG_1014.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 838 times
 #1626868  by SST

[attachment=0]IMG_1015.jpg

Well, I got the pictures in from my PC via upload attachments but it won't load from upload image like it use to. Why the images are laying on there side...not a clue but when I click on them, they are right side up.
Attachments:
The NOCO track is in the background
The NOCO track is in the background
IMG_1015.jpg (642.98 KiB) Viewed 835 times
 #1626877  by umtrr-author

Looking at Google Maps, the track east from the I-190 bridge doesn't get too far... it dead ends just before the Hydraulic Development & Manufacturing Company, which is listed at 125 Fire Tower Drive in Tonawanda. Looks like maybe 2500 feet or so.
 #1626970  by SST

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:05 pm Seems the end of the track was once the Tonawanda water facility.

The NYS Thruway Authority (which owns and maintains I-190) has the Frontier Fuel RR name on the bridge.
I thought they changed it. I thought they put CSX on the bridge. That's why I was surprised to see the line severed. I haven't gone under the bridge in a while. I'll have to inspect the bridge to verify.

Edit: You are right. It is Frontier . But I’m certain that a new sign/name change happened years before the virus which caused me to think we’ll see traffic over the bridge. Here’s a pic I just took to verify:
IMG_1023.jpeg
IMG_1023.jpeg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 606 times
 #1627426  by Fireman43

After all these years driving that way on the 190 never gave it a thought as to where those tracks went .
Well now I know - no where !

Again too bad those new warehouse businesses that parallel the ROW and the 290 couldn’t have used rail service .

Looking around that area now over by the OOS Huntley Power Plant it’s remarkable the traces of rail infrastructure that are still visible .