Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1619355  by MetraBNSF

Union Pacific Transferring Commuter Rail Services to Metra
Transfer expected to result in seamless commuter experience; completion anticipated first quarter 2024

CHICAGO, IL., MARCH 30, 2023

https://www.up.com/media/releases/metra ... gfs=social

Union Pacific is working with Metra to safely and seamlessly transfer its commuter rail operation in Chicago, including the employees who perform the work. Union Pacific anticipates completing the transfer by the end of first quarter 2024.

As part of the transition, Metra will take over services including train crew, mechanical, car cleaning, rolling stock maintenance, ticket sales and some engineering services. Several management employees transitioned to Metra earlier this year, with plans to start transferring Mechanical and Transportation craft professionals in third quarter 2023.

“We greatly appreciate Metra’s collaboration in continuing to provide excellent and safe service to commuters during this transition,” said Eric Gehringer, executive vice president-Operations. “Thank you to our employees for your outstanding dedication and teamwork to provide uninterrupted commuter experience.”

Union Pacific will continue to maintain the track and manage train movements on its lines: Union Pacific West, Union Pacific Northwest and Union Pacific North.
 #1619375  by eolesen

Another thought. If Metra now owns all of the track east of Rockwall including A2, then there should be no objection to finally building out the crossovers at A1 which would allow traffic to shift between Union and Ogilvie, and also reduce holds at A2.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1619396  by eolesen

Real estate hasn't been worked out yet. That's the next shoe to drop. I suspect that there will be a demark at Rockwall where the freight traffic merges westbound. Maybe the same at Cy for the freight lead down to the former Trib plant and Navy Pier.

#1626482  by ExCon90

eolesen wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:25 pm Another thought. If Metra now owns all of the track east of Rockwall including A2, then there should be no objection to finally building out the crossovers at A1 which would allow traffic to shift between Union and Ogilvie, and also reduce holds at A2.

I can see a big time saving in swapping terminals, but could Union handle everything now using Ogilvie? Would leaving UP-W at Union help equalize the burden? There is no station in common; everything from Clybourn would go to Union. Making the track changes at A2 under traffic would be a challenge and a half, but worth it in the long run.
 #1626506  by eolesen

I think you meant to say everything from Clybourn would go to Olgilvie?

If A2 were to be built, in theory the UP West could move to Union Station, with the NCS and MD-N moving to Olgilvie.

You'd effectively have all north/northwest services leaving from Olgilvie, and all westbound services leaving from Union.

That would free up more room at the north side of Union for Amtrak operated services. The NCS and MD-N traffic account for about half the crossings that take place at A-2.
 #1627399  by eolesen

I think that's a given when the next contract comes up for renewal with BNSF.

UP forced Metra's hand, and Metra bet all on the courts ruling in their favor. They didn't.

Now that the common carrier obligation has been decided in the appellate courts, BNSF has all the negotiating power on their side to either raise their price or tell Metra it's theirs to operate.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk