Railroad Forums 

• Twenty-Trip Ticket Elimination and Other MTA Mistakes

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1627098  by Head-end View

So the cat's out of the bag so to speak. With yesterday's Newsday's front-page headline, the MTA's attempt to quietly eliminate the 20-Trip ticket is now exposed for all to see. MTA thought if they didn't advertise it maybe no one would notice? I can't believe they're that ignorant.

The MTA/LIRR has been making one idiotic mistake after another since the start of the Grand Central Service. First they give the Brooklyn riders the short end of the stick by eliminating the hundred-year old cross-platform transfer at Jamaica. Then they eliminated similar timed cross-platform connections between many lines and branches at Jamaica.

And now they're doing away with arguably the smartest fare they ever came up with: the 20-Trip ticket. This was the perfect answer for former full-time, now part-time commuters who only travel into the City a few days a week while working from home part of the time. Lots of commuters are still doing this and how the MTA could have thought this a smart move is a mystery just like the other two debacles I mentioned above.

What the heck is MTA/LIRR management smoking the last year or two? I've generally supported the LIRR for many years, but lately they seem to have lost their way......... :(