• No More "Sleepers" ... now "Private Rooms"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by BAR

ExCon90,

The toilet situation is why I preferred a slumber coach to a roomette on the LSL from NYP to Cleveland. Toilet was in the slumber coach room and did not require the roomette gymnastics to use it. It was not a matter of saving money for myself but for convenience since my expenses were being paid for by my client, but the lower cost was a benefit to the client as well.

BAR
  by John_Perkowski

All I have to say about Slumbercoaches is:

EIGHTEEN INCH WIDE @hgd@##$&&((‘lj. BERTHS!
BAR wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:48 am ExCon90,

The toilet situation is why I preferred a slumber coach to a roomette on the LSL from NYP to Cleveland. Toilet was in the slumber coach room and did not require the roomette gymnastics to use it. It was not a matter of saving money for myself but for convenience since my expenses were being paid for by my client, but the lower cost was a benefit to the client as well.

BAR
  by David Benton

Checks year,2023, phew .
Most riders today would have no idea what a slumber coach or section is.
Mention of sleeper , they would probably think of the various seats long distance flights have , which Amtrak seems reluctant to try.
  by rohr turbo

John_Perkowski wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:11 pm Simply put, Amtrak has been blowing smoke up its customers 4th points of contact for quite a few years now.
I'm not sure the purpose of your angry, vulgar post. Amtrak's roomettes appear to be similar in size, and arguably better in layout than ancient Pullman ones. Some 1937 patent does not define a term in perpetuity.

You're going to really flip out when you discover a "Business Class Seat" is entirely different between airlines, aircraft models, and decades! :smile:
  by Arborwayfan

I first noticed "Private Room" on the Amtrak site early in the Covid pandemic. I don't remember the details, but I think they were emphasizing that you would have your own space, although I have no idea if sleeping car rooms have their own outside air. I think I also remember getting the impression that they were trying to get people to buy sleeping car space for daytime trips, too, but I'm not sure.
  by Robert Paniagua

Some people still like to travel in those Private Rooms aka Sleepers, even from Boston to Springfield and back, ( which I want to do, but Id have to reserve in advance for a lower price)
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - After a review of this topic: What is wrong with using the traditional term "Sleeping Car(s)"
to describe private overnight accomodations on Amtrak trains?

The term "Sleeper" to me is an abbreviation or slang term description at most...

I remember that Amtrak offered Slumbercoach service - After a search what surprised me is just how few
Slumbercoach cars that were built - 18 new - and just 10 converted - previous to 1971...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumbercoach
Rapido Trains offers detailed HO Scale models of Slumbercoaches:
https://rapidotrains.com/ho-scale/passe ... coach.html

I understand that Slumbercoach-type rooms are not for everyone noting JP's rant - but for many they were
a reasonable-priced way to travel for far less than a Roomette or full Bedroom would have cost...MACTRAXX
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. MACTRAXX, as noted earlier in the topic some. I not being one of such, can sleep in a Coach. Therefore Sleeper can be attached to any passenger railcar.

Of further interest, guess what trade name the NYC gave to their fleet - SLEEPERCOACH.

Finally, as you noted 18 such cars, configured 24-8, were built by Budd in or about the 1956 range. CB&Q took four, and the B&O two, which left Budd with "twelve on the shelf", or "not a good position" to be at that time.

But after about two years, Budd found them a home. Four went to the NYC, four to the NP, three to the B&O and one to the MP (their share of a Wash-San Antonio line).
  by John_Perkowski

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:25 pm Mr. MACTRAXX, as noted earlier in the topic some. I not being one of such, can sleep in a Coach. Therefore Sleeper can be attached to any passenger railcar.

Of further interest, guess what trade name the NYC gave to their fleet - SLEEPERCOACH.

Finally, as you noted 18 such cars, configured 24-8, were built by Budd in or about the 1956 range. CB&Q took four, and the B&O two, which left Budd with "twelve on the shelf", or "not a good position" to be at that time.

But after about two years, Budd found them a home. Four went to the NYC, four to the NP, three to the B&O and one to the MP (their share of a Wash-San Antonio line).
Lest we forget, UP leased a couple 21 roomette cars from PRR and sold the space at Slumbercoach rates ON THE city of Denver, but they were a day late and a dollar short to the Q.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Noted; Colonel.

The ONLY Econosnooze that made any economic sense was the eighteen Budd built cars noted.

The others; a waste; and as noted in the pages of TRAINS how major operators such as the SAL, PRR, GN, UP (away from the noted one exception), ATSF, and SP all saw them as a dilution of revenue.

The "worst offender" was my MILW and its Touralux cars. Their configuration of 14 Sec was identical to the long standing one of the Pullman Co that were sold at full price. The only economy within those cars wasthat there was no carpeting - just the MILW's usual Baby Blue flooring throughout its entire home built fleet.

I actually laid eyes upon one assigned as a Camp Car to an Extra Gang at Roundup, MT; "uh not exactly" in the greatest of shape.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by BAR

In 1966 I took the B&O from Washington D.C. to Mitchell, Indiana and at the time they were substituting regular sleeping cars for the Slumbercoaches and one could pay the Slumbercoach fare and ride in a regular roomette.

In the November 1966 Official Guide the B&O called their Slumbercoaches a "Slumber Coach or Slumber-Room". The C&O called them a "Slumber-Room Coach". In the same issue the NYC called them a "Sleepercoach".

On both the B&O and C&O the sleeping cars configuration showed 10 roomettes and 4 double bedrooms , while the Slumbercoaches were "16 Single Rooms, 4 Double Rooms".

BAR
  by Arborwayfan

Is Amtrak painting "Private Room Car" on the sleepers instead of "Sleeping Car," or is the new wording just in advertising and booking?

One sport in the website now says "Perks of a Private Room: When you book travel in a sleeping car..."

When I searched for Sleeping Car on the Amtrak website, Julie put up this answer: "For a truly unique experience when traveling by train, Amtrak offers private room accommodations on many routes across the country. Located in the Sleeping Car, a private room is the perfect option for customers seeking privacy and space on a short trip and added comfort and amenities when traveling overnight." Notice that it calls the car a sleeping car and mentions people getting a private room for a non-overnight trip.

Does anyone remember what the website used to say in the column where it was offering roomettes and bedrooms? "Sleeping Accomodations"? Or did it list them separately with no name for the category? I think I remember that at one time it was that way, so that choices on a superliner were something like Coach Seat, Lower Level Coach Seat, Roomette, Bedroom. But that was a couple of website updates ago.