• No More "Sleepers" ... now "Private Rooms"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Ken W2KB

BAR wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:14 pm Tadman thanks for confirming. I checked out the VIA website and open sections are called "berths" and roomettes are called "cabins". Sounds rather nautical to me.
Navigators:
"Navvies: Building the railroad across Canada required a certain kind of worker who could live onsite as the route expands into remote areas. On the east coast, workers who’d done just that – lived in the field and ate around a campfire – on the Canadian canals showed up to get jobs on the railroad. “Navvies” as they were called on the canal now became a nickname for rail workers. In fact, even today in Australia, rail workers are still called “navvies.” https://blogs.umb.edu/buildingtheworld/ ... ay-canada/
  by lordsigma12345

Also they’re kind of rolling out the first class term again. “First class private rooms.”
  by John_Perkowski

lordsigma12345 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:13 pm Also they’re kind of rolling out the first class term again. “First class private rooms.”
First class. Yeah, right. Can the bartender mix a martini? Can the dining car do lobster thermidor, fresh brook trout, prime rib, or The Salad Bowl? Are the upper berths 36” wide?

Amtrak and first class is an oxymoron.
  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:56 am First class. Yeah, right. Can the bartender mix a martini? Can the dining car do lobster thermidor, fresh brook trout, prime rib, or The Salad Bowl? Are the upper berths 36” wide?

On the food side, I can agree with. But "Are the upper berths 36 inches wide" I say "If you are able to get up there... and escape."

Take the Roomettes. You got 6" spare room if you go 36" wide on the bedding, and that's going off Amtrak's info. Nobody can fit in 6" of space if you gotta escape in an emergency. The bigger rooms is the same issue.
  by ExCon90

I think the Federal carried sections until quite late because the government would only pay for an upper berth for Federal employees, although the railroad may have substituted roomettes on occasion.
  by Tadman

This. Their advertising shows such glamorous and grandiose "magical moments". It's not that magical. It could be if the service levels were somewhat consistent, which would require management to GAF. But they don't and they probably won't ever.
  by urr304

I think Civil Service travel rules allowed for a lower berth. Railroads had to tell government to allow for a roomette since there were few cars with sections and were getting fewer. At least, they got a berth for overnight travel; though reclining seat coaches probably did just as much to reduce demand for sections.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. URR, it seemed as if the Civil Service, in addition to placing limitations on what an employee can be reimbursed, as many private sector employers do, also placed limits on what you were allowed to spend; reimbursed notwithstanding.

There could not be a "I want a Bedroom, so just reimburse me for the Lower and I'll just pay the rest". On many a trip for the MILW, I simply wanted to go to a nicer restaurant or hotel than their "guidelimes" allowed. So I just "put in the guidelines" and paid the rest out of my pocket.

As I learned from The Late Randy Resor (Nellie Bly around here) and who was with the DOT, "you don't do that". If you end up spending on a meal more than the delineated GSA amount for where you are traveling, your credit card receipt is first routed through your boss and then you pony up.

Oh well, at least the Travel and Entertainment polices at the firm Gilbert B Norman CPA: Chartered (retired; professional corporation dissolved during '03) was determined by one sole person, known as "me".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by FatNoah

It's not that magical.
I think it depends on your definition of magical. My 15 year old suggesting spending 24 consecutive hours in close proximity to Dad is clear indication of magic to me. ;)
  by ExCon90

urr304 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:57 am I think Civil Service travel rules allowed for a lower berth. Railroads had to tell government to allow for a roomette since there were few cars with sections and were getting fewer. At least, they got a berth for overnight travel; though reclining seat coaches probably did just as much to reduce demand for sections.
That's right -- it was a lower berth, not upper. What I was thinking of was what railroads allowed foreign-road employees traveling on half-rate orders for personal travel. Passenger tariffs all over the country continued to show rates for upper berths long after they had virtually disappeared, apparently solely so that ticket agents could calculate how much to charge for a roomette.
  by Ken W2KB

Present US Department of Defense Amtrak travel policy, coach only:

"Rail transportation is permitted when it meets mission requirements and is the most cost-effective mode, taking into consideration best value, such as travel time, per diem, and miscellaneous expenses.

The National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AMTRAK) is the only approved DoD rail passenger carrier in the Continental United States. In overseas areas, standards are established in accordance with host country agreements and conventions.

Ticket Class
Travelers must use economy or coach accommodations when booking travel by rail. AMTRAK Acela Express and extra fare trains are considered business class and require the order-issuing authorizing official's approval before travel begins." https://www.travel.dod.mil/Programs/Rail/
  by David Benton

FatNoah wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:29 pm
It's not that magical.
I think it depends on your definition of magical. My 15 year old suggesting spending 24 consecutive hours in close proximity to Dad is clear indication of magic to me. ;)
I wonder if they have any idea they can make your day , just by wanting to spend some time with "the old man".And V.V I suppose.
Back to the subject , People are sleeping in coach as well, so sleeper doesn't really describe the additional accomodation.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Benton, you're a rather "rugged guy" and you probably can sleep in a Coach (wish I had that chance to meet you when you were by here a few years ago).

But I guarantee you, I can't; nor can I sleep in an airline Coach seat, and maybe a few winks heading Eastward in Business going overseas (none WW).

But I do get your point; even if the term Sleeper is as old as George M, Private Room is a far more descriptive term for the product those willing to step up and pay Amtrak the Gazillion they want, and apparently get, for the experience.

But allow me to relate an off-Amtrak, in the sky, "Gift of the Magi" experience I had a few years ago. I was intending to fly ORD-HPN (White Plains) but that flight got the CX (no crew). So I rebooked a flight to LGA. The United Agent was so helpful I wanted to "do something for her", so I say "Dear, how much more for First Class"?, "$125", "Girl, you're on". I board, it was an aisle seat (there are people who actually PREFER those) and all the blinds were drawn!!! I was getting vertigo as the aircraft taxied and I had no idea on what runway we were to depart!!! The guy in the window seat was sound asleep and I had no business disturbing him (of course, easier for the Attendant to get me my wine and nibbles). As we were descending for the approach to LGA, he wakes up. He could sense I wanted to look out; "hey buddy, let's swap seats while we still can". "Why, didn't you wake me up back in Chicago; I can sleep anywhere".

The irony; but at least on a clear day (never mind that it was also crystal clear on 9/11) I could see the approach to RWY 31 with a spectacular view of the Manhattan Skyline.
  by John_Perkowski

If all y’all want to really understand what a roomette is, I suggest you read ths Link…

After Amtrak stopped using older cars with roomettes, it renamed the economy sleeper a roomette. However, Amtrak’s roomette is more like a section than a Pullman roomette.

And then the linked PS Patent…
US Patent US2147011A, RAILWAY CAR

Simply put, Amtrak has been blowing smoke up its customers 4th points of contact for quite a few years now.
  by ExCon90

Fig. 9 under The Roomette (in the first link above) discreetly omits to point out that if it was necessary to use the toilet when the bed was down the following steps were required:

1. Open door and zip curtain closed;
2. Get up and step back cautiously outward into the aisle, covered by the curtain;
3. Raise the bed as far as a catch which would hold the bed just off the vertical;
4. Use the toilet;
5. Wash hands;
6. Step back into aisle and lower bed;
7. Get back into bed; unzip curtain and close door if desired.

I think the roomette was the only accommodation requiring opening the door; duplex roomettes and duplex single rooms had transverse berths that provided interior floor space.