Railroad Forums 

• NJ&NY RR Spring Valley, New City, Haverstraw (aka NJT PV)

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#492077  by isaksenj

The New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society still has copies of Wilson Jones' book for sale, through Amazon.com:

Pascack Valley Railroad: The Story of the New Jersey & New York Railroad by Wilson Jones. This book is the complete history of the line with many rare and never before published photographs. Softcover, 160 pages

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN= ... ymidlandA/

#492178  by Steve F45

the model railway postoffice in west milford,nj has this book a few weeks ago. I almost bought it but didn't have any more money on me.
 #1225118  by Stillwell

I'm jumping into this topic a bit late but had a question that I'm sure someone here could answer or at least point me in the right direction about.

I'm trying to pinpoint the exact location of the station building in Thiells, NY. I have the book "The Pascack Valley Line" by Wilson E. Jones. The book has photos of both Thiells station buildings on pages 87 & 88. In both photos there is a road bridge over the tracks. Does anyone know what road this is/was? Thanks.

Jon

Re:

#1617900  by keithsy

onder wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:45 pm Pretty funny that Rockland pretty much got rid of a lot of rail lines. They even got rid of their airports. But this is in keeping with the general world of suburbia. Not in my back yard...ever. As the traffic gets worse, people complain but it takes a generation of this to allow for rail to return. In fact, rail returns when the suburbs become exurbs, that is, when they become urban areas. Im often surprised at the bike trail thing. How heavily are they used? Why pour dough into these things is beyond me. Most suburbanites are unwilling to move ten feet without a car.
I was a commuter, charter and intercity bus driver. Lazy lot they are. I hated them. They would not move their tails for the purpose. If I had say, I would institute West Shore service from Stony Pt. to NYP, via a crossover on the current or new Gateway tubes. It would start 2 trains each way in the prevailing direction M-F, only. It would pick up stream, so to speak. It would be simple, using spruced--up old stations. Sorry, no hi-levels to keep down costs. I would negotiate with CSX and find a way to be out of each other's hair.
 #1617906  by Jeff Smith

Thanks for bumping this informative topic; it gave me a chance to read back through it. One wonders about two of the points previously made:

- Elimination of the Woodbine Yard: what a great idea to use the Piermont/Suffern Industrial track to bring PVL trains to Suffern. I'm sure the Woodbine Yard neighbors would love that, and it's unfortunate that the NIMBY's along the Piermont won. I would assume the Piermont was still active back then. It would be next to impossible almost years later to reactivate the Piermont for such an idea.

-Tappan Zee Bridge service connection: if the TZB ever did get rail service (unlikely), that could put the Woodbine elimination back into play, but since the Piermont would be a "bridge too far", such a connection would have to be along 87.

-West Haverstraw connection: the late Mr. Weaver mentioned that this connection wasn't used, although someone else had maps that it was. I often wondered that if the ROW were still available, it could be very valuable today for a West Shore commuter service bypass.