Railroad Forums 

• 2022 Pennsylvania Railroad Map

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1607321  by jrevans

I was going to reply to the existing topic about the 2009 Rail Map, but it is locked, so here's a new topic.

As of September 2022, here is the link to the Pennsylvania Railroad Map:
https://gis.penndot.gov/BPR_PDF_FILES/M ... parail.pdf
 #1609042  by obsessed railfan

While I appreciate the time taken to produce a comprehensive map such as this, there will inevitably be numerous errors and descrepancies. I'd just like to point out that for the Lehigh Valley region, the former Lehigh Valley Railroad main line along the Lehigh River in Allentown, most recently operated by R.J. Corman Allentown Lines, has been removed several years ago as part of the city of Allentown's riverfront redevelopment project.

Perhaps most bizarre is the fact that the former CNJ main line through Bethlehem to a point near Freemansburg, including the former CNJ Minsi Trail Branch is shown as an operating switching and terminal railroad. These tracks were removed by Conrail in the early 1990s. While there was in fact an attempt to start a short line railroad on the Minsi Trail Branch to serve Just Born Candy, this never came to fruition and the line was abandoned by Conrail due to allegedly unsafe track conditions. Perhaps someone compiling the info to make this map somehow became aware of the short line attempt, and then without proper fact checking included it on this map as an operating railroad. Only a small stub of the former CNJ main survives as the NS Freemansburg Industrial Track from JU to a point east of the former CNJ Bethlehem Station.

Lehigh Valley Rail Management's line as shown on the map does not accurately depict the true route of their line. While NS and LVRB both still call the area Florence, the map appears to show Florence Yard as the location of the BethIntermodal facility. The intermodal facility is actually located further south along LVRB's line which was not accurately depicted as previously mentioned. The Lehigh Valley Railroad's Florence Yard was primarily to serve Bethlehem Steel and this yard has been gone for several decades.

The surviving stub of the former Lehigh Valley's Easton & Northern Branch in Stockertown is shown as a switching and terminal railroad which is not the case. It is simply just a stub to serve Polymer Products and is operated by Norfolk Southern off of the Cement Secondary.

The former CNJ Easton & Western Branch is shown as intact but service discontinued. This branch has been abandoned and tracks removed since 1976 and the right of way is currently part of the local trail system.

The former Lehigh & New England Allentown Branch, most recently the Allentown Industrial Track of Conrail and Norfolk Southern, is shown as an intact freight rail line. To be fair, I don't believe there ever was an official STB petition to officially discontinue service over this line, but it is completely inoperable with tracks removed in many places. I believe the last movement on the line was in 2002 and was not a revenue movement.

Other can feel free to point out any other noticeable errors they may find.
 #1609290  by jrevans

Interesting that you have found so many discrepancies with the map.

This is a PennDOT produced map, so I would imagine that would have to be based on data that the state has from its own records. I guess those records are not correct!

It would be interesting for obsessed railfan to contact PennDOT and ask them about some of the problems.
 #1617637  by R36 Combine Coach

There is a 2015 edition (January 2015) between the 2009 and 2022 editions. I recall a 2014 edition (don't have
the PDF copy), but even the January 2015 edition didn't appear on the PennDOT GIS servers until late in the year
even early 2016.