Railroad Forums 

• Milford-Bennington Railroad (MBRX) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1606845  by New Haven 1

Is there any land lot that is available adjacent to the branch between the active gravel pit and Monadnock paper large enough and zoned to support a business that could use rail service?
 #1606947  by eustis22

Had the opportunity to drive thru Greenfield recently and noticed the M&B tracks along the river...are the tracks north of Bennington still there albeit abandoned/OOS? I think it was the Peterbrough & Hillsborough RR?
 #1607028  by b&m 1566

I believe the tracks end somewhere along side the baseball/softball fields, just north of the Monadnock Paper Mill, in Bennington.
This part of the Hillsboro Branch used to be part of to the Worcester & Hillsboro Branch or sometimes referred to as the Worcester & Contoocook Branch. I think all passenger traffic between Worcester and Concord was by way of this route, until the mid to late 30's, when parts of the of the line washed away from flooding and was never rebuilt.
 #1608849  by hillsboyro

Yes, tracks continue to just past the paper mill. In the 1980s with the Guilford strikes Monadnock paper dropped rail as it's form of transportation. This meant the line pretty much west of Wilton would be abandoned so the state bought it. Peter Leishman still maintains it at least up to Greenfield even though he doesn't run the train up there.

By the way, does anyone have any videos of the early 2000's Guilford trains up to the quarry? I've been looking for one of those.