• Green Line Collision 6/1/2022

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by rethcir

Bad look when they’re already under scrutiny by the feds.

Has anyone done any calculations on how much money has been lost due to accidents (equipment costs, bussing etc) vs the cost of some form of train protection?

It’s getting pretty embarrassing to be a patron of the T.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

They are also omitting stopping at Government Center on the Blue Line.
  by jwhite07

No customer injuries, however news reports say at least three, and some claim all four, of the employees on the two 2-car trains sought medical treatment. The incident appears to have happened where the southbound/westbound track merges with the turnaround loop just short of the westbound platform.

I rode the Green Line several times yesterday prior to this incident. The trips were not "essential"... and now I am thinking I should make a point of only riding the subway when absolutely necessary, which is not often at all.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

This set of tweets has some pictures of what happened.
https://twitter.com/sc_Slayerage/status ... 93/photo/1

I was guessing the reason the crew were taken to the hospital was for the mandatory testing? But that's just a guess.

Not sure why Government Center on the Blue Line needed to say closed today.
  by typesix

Looks like double red signal violation(s).
  by Disney Guy

Universal Hub reported it happened between Park St. and Government Center. But the pictures look more like between Haymarket and Gov't Center at the trailing junction between north-to-south loop (not Brattle Loop) and through tracks coming south entering Gov't Ctr.
  by Commuterrail1050

I’m not here to speculate nor am I going to assume anything like that, but based on what I’ve been reading from the Boston globe, herald, and Mbta released articles, it looks like the train with the passengers on board ran the red light since the looping train had the right of way. It’s easy to tell that because of the collision pictures and what the investigation has been revealing so far.
  by typesix

Commuterrail1050 wrote:...it looks like the train with the passengers on board ran the red light...
It ran through a double red signal, which is considered a much more serious violation than single reds.
  by Rbts Stn

typesix wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:31 am
Commuterrail1050 wrote:...it looks like the train with the passengers on board ran the red light...
It ran through a double red signal, which is considered a much more serious violation than single reds.
I'm going to guess doubly bad?

Seems like we could almost use a subforum here about accidents.
  by Commuterrail1050

The Mbta is seriously going to be screwed! I can’t even count how many accidents they have had this year alone. If the Mbta was really smart, they would have had atc or whatever it’s called for the green line specifically at the same time that commuter rail trains were getting atc installed up north and ptc installed everywhere. What’s stupid is that the Mbta allows these accidents to happen without any consequences. I really hope the feds step in and do something before more people get hurt or worse, killed. They really should also be looking at the operator’s driving history carefully. A lot more background checks like these can help reduce the amount of accidents that keep occurring which are the same thing over and over again.
  by Disney Guy

At that location there was plenty of visibility for both operators to check for a train coming on the other track before getting to the switch.

Positive train control on the Green Line would need on board modules to throttle down trains approaching every junction just in case another train is violating a double red.

Some years ago I heard some gossip (not on T property) about a similar trailing switch conflict and double red signal violation on the Green Line where the management fired the operator with less seniority (actually with no seniority because they were on new hire probation). It appeared as if politics and/or racially sensitive details overrode a full search for the truth.
  by Commuterrail1050

Unfortunately management and politics doesn’t fit well with one another. That’s the real reason why the T is a mess. That’s as far as I’m going to go because you all know that this can lead to arguments and that management and employees use this site.
  by CRail

Lots of facts are being stated here that are either inaccurate or unknowable. If you're not knowledgeable, refrain from commenting. While it does appear likely that a signal violation occurred, it is only the crews and investigators involved who can know for sure until they release that information.

It's okay to theorize what might have gone wrong so long as the commentary remains respectful to all involved, but a theory must be regarded as such. Misinformation passed off as known fact will be removed.
  by Yellowspoon

When the Government Center Garage collapsed earlier this year, Haymarket was closed and they ran trains between North Station and Union Square. With this event, why did they run busses between North Station and Lechmere? What did they do for the Lechmere-to-Union-Square folks?