• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by FrontFrank

Thank you bracdude181. When I see my friend on Wednesday or Thursday I will ask him for more information. I will see why he has to say while we hang some sheetrock.
  by R&DB

One more operator ... the New Jersey Southern in between the R&DB and the CNJ. The PRR and PennCentral also had operating rights from Farmingdale to Earle Naval Weapons Station.
  by Bracdude181

Thank you R&DB.
  by JohnFromJersey

FrontFrank wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:07 pm You could be right about the Osmose rather then Ozmosis. Regardless, we stopped to ask if the train was coming. My friend was asking them other railroad related questions. They mentioned that there is a new operator taking over then got very defensive with why all the questions and maybe we should call the cops and that we are trespassing. We were standing on the side of the road. My friend thinks the way they quickly closed that silver cabinet that they may have been up to something they shouldn't be. Whatever the case, they seemed very unprofessional.
Decent chance they could have been impersonating contractors, or even been off-duty contractors looking for an extra pay-day. Since the line is about to be transferred to someone else, I wouldn't be shocked if these guys realized they had a good opportunity, during the chaos of the transfer, to make a few grand stealing some scrap. Most of the equipment on this line doesn't even work/is a remainder from the days when signals were needed and are now not needed, so they figure what's the big deal taking some stuff when it will end up being scrapped/replaced anyway by the new operator.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, them acting suspicious and threatening to call the cops on me, while I'm on the street and not RR property, would've prompted me to call the cops on them
  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:57 am One more operator ... the New Jersey Southern in between the R&DB and the CNJ. The PRR and PennCentral also had operating rights from Farmingdale to Earle Naval Weapons Station.
Don't forget NJSL has the rights to the line from Woodmansie-Lakehurst, but they haven't run a train down there yet. Plenty of MOW operations have occurred there, though.
  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey For a reason I’ve yet to understand. They were supposed to get this line not long after the sand trains kicked off, but then something happened.

In 2015 both NJSL and Conrail made a big push to get the trains going.

Then…Nothing……..

Why? What happened?
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Why? What happened?
Who knows, guess the deal fell through. Maybe they backed out.
  by Bracdude181

That’s only two of the many answers I’ve been given to that question.
  by JohnFromJersey

Maybe NJT screwed up that deal, as NJT owns the ROW. NJSL's parent, CMSL, has had some financial issues in the past, many of them not being their own fault, like when someone stole the track that ran down to Cape May. If NJT pulled the plug on any deal between them and CR in favor of C&D, which NJT has had much more experience with, and seemed more stable to them, I would not be shocked.

Would've been nice to have all this stuff going on happen 7 nearly 8 years ago, where it would've been much cheaper and faster-moving than now
  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey Something has to have happened for NJSL to put forward their proposal only for Conrail to give this area to C&D 5 years later. Maybe I’ll dig into this through other means.

Also, I’ve noticed that the last four derailments and a few other incidents that happened prior on this line have not been included in FRA accident report data. Very strange considering all the other incidents I didn’t know about were on there. Lots of accidents in Oak Island…
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:15 am @JohnFromJersey Something has to have happened for NJSL to put forward their proposal only for Conrail to give this area to C&D 5 years later. Maybe I’ll dig into this through other means.

Also, I’ve noticed that the last four derailments and a few other incidents that happened prior on this line have not been included in FRA accident report data. Very strange considering all the other incidents I didn’t know about were on there. Lots of accidents in Oak Island…
The SOUS has very infrequent traffic, and it's owned and operated by a single company. It's not like Oak Island where there is A LOT of traffic, and multiple companies operating out of there. I would not be shocked if the FRA didn't really care.
  by R&DB

and it's owned and operated by a single company.
Owned by NJT, operated under agreement by Conrail Shared Assets Organisation, which is itself made up of Two class 1 railroads CSX Transportation and Norfork Southern. The new operator (DRRR) will essentially be a sub-contractor to CSAO.
  by GSC

If CSX power will soon be a thing of the past, any news on anything running down the Southern today?
  by Bracdude181

Should be business as usual today. They haven’t called in yet.
  by RustyRail5634

Conrail made no real push to repair the line because their pretty penny wasn't paid. Since CMSL had neither the means nor the money to make neither the whole line nor their portion work, nothing has been done.