Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Venture cars in revenue service on Lincoln services

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1596532  by Bob Roberts

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:16 pm Mr. Roberts, I presume you are addressing the doors between the vestibule and the "cabin". and not those to board or alight the train.

If the former, "minor minor". I've been on DB Euro City equipment where same has occurred.

Food-Service/Business Class cars, that was earlier reported here as a "work in progress".
My apologies for the vagueness. The doors between the vestibule area (which includes the toilet) and the cabin were not working.

I returned to Chicago on the 302 the next morning, all horizon gear. We passed a Southbound Lincoln that was all amfleet and was trailing one (unoccupied) Siemens coach. There were 7-8 Siemens Business Class cars on storage tracks in Union station (along with a bunch of coaches) per the labels on the exterior doors.
 #1596550  by Gilbert B Norman

Bob Roberts wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:06 am The doors between the vestibule area (which includes the toilet) and the cabin were not working.
Interesting observation, Mr. Roberts.

This follows the practice from overseas with Rail Jet and Euro City equipment. Helps ensure that "odors" - even if just chemical - remain outside the cabin.
 #1598824  by Anthony

I heard that the Wolverine route is now starting to feature Venture equipment as well. It sounds like at least one trainset (with the exception of the Business Class/Café cars, which aren't available yet) on the Lincoln Service and Wolverine routes, are now using Venture rolling stock. I have a few questions about the Venture cars' current and future deployment. Do all the trainsets on the Lincoln Service and Wolverine routes now use Venture rolling stock? What is the current status of the Business Class/Café Venture cars? When is delivery and deployment of those types of venture cars expected to happen?
 #1598841  by RandallW

Anthony wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:57 pm I heard that the Wolverine route is now starting to feature Venture equipment as well. It sounds like at least one trainset (with the exception of the Business Class/Café cars, which aren't available yet) on the Lincoln Service and Wolverine routes, are now using Venture rolling stock. I have a few questions about the Venture cars' current and future deployment. Do all the trainsets on the Lincoln Service and Wolverine routes now use Venture rolling stock? What is the current status of the Business Class/Café Venture cars? When is delivery and deployment of those types of venture cars expected to happen?
According to minutes from the PRIIA 305 board meetings, the design reviews for the Cafe cars should be complete in June. I can't say how much of the Cafe cars has been built pending that (I can't find any information suggesting the body shells for the cafe cars are or are not the same as for the coaches).
 #1598902  by scratchyX1

Anthony wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:57 pm I heard that the Wolverine route is now starting to feature Venture equipment as well. It sounds like at least one trainset (with the exception of the Business Class/Café cars, which aren't available yet) on the Lincoln Service and Wolverine routes, are now using Venture rolling stock. I have a few questions about the Venture cars' current and future deployment. Do all the trainsets on the Lincoln Service and Wolverine routes now use Venture rolling stock? What is the current status of the Business Class/Café Venture cars? When is delivery and deployment of those types of venture cars expected to happen?
It's a shame the Wolverine route cars aren't blue and yellow, with black accents..
 #1598947  by Gilbert B Norman

Disney, Mr. Wolf?

Might University of Michigan be more the case?

There is a chain, Graduate Hotels, that has a business plan of acquiring existing hotels in college towns and rehabbing them in the motif of the University located there. Among locations are Ann Arbor, Iowa City, Madison, but not to date - and I can think of a property or two that might be "ripe" - Champaign/Urbana.

I wonder what remuneration, if any, they must pay to the University for use of their trademarked colors and logos.
 #1598979  by scratchyX1

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:16 pm Disney, Mr. Wolf?

There is a chain, Graduate Hotels, that has a business plan of acquiring existing hotels in college towns and rehabbing them in the motif of the University located there. Among locations are Ann Arbor, Iowa City, Madison, but not to date - and I can think of a property or two that might be "ripe" - Champaign/Urbana.

I wonder what remuneration, if any, they must pay to the University for use of their trademarked colors and logos.
Oh, it looks like the classic X men costume colors are the same as U of M.
I was referencing the X man, Wolverine.
(who is canadian, anyway)
 #1598992  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:49 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:16 pm Disney, Mr. Wolf?

Oh, it looks like the classic X men costume colors are the same as U of M.
I was referencing the X man, Wolverine.
(who is canadian, anyway)
Yep, and Disney owns Marvel (only exception is that Sony has the Spiderman movie rights currently).
 #1598995  by eolesen

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Disney, Mr. Wolf?

Indeed. But that might be a detractor for anyone from another rival or B1G school like the Spartans or Wildcats. As an Illini I wouldn't ride the maize and blue.... the Buckeyes probably feel the same way.

I can think of a property or two that might be "ripe" - Champaign/Urbana.

The Jumer property at Lincoln Square had been in the process of being renovated by Hilton... haven't heard much about the branding or progresss... would have been an ideal opportunity for an Illini themed property.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1599022  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Olesen, there is no mention, such as "opening soon" at Hilton's site regarding the Urbana-Lincoln Lodge. Therefore, it would appear open to Graduate Hotels should they be interested.

Possibly, they could acquire a private residence hall, such as Bromley, smack in the heart of Campustown.

I did once stay at a Graduate in Ann Arbor. I recall jokingly saying "hope you'll let this Illini in".

But meanwhile back on the rails. Mr. Olesen, good point about having cars liveried for an online University when those cars could end up."elsewhere". One thing for the Monon to livery cars for either Purdue or IU, but something else for several passenger agencies to do same.
 #1599061  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:43 pm But meanwhile back on the rails. Mr. Olesen, good point about having cars liveried for an online University when those cars could end up."elsewhere". One thing for the Monon to livery cars for either Purdue or IU, but something else for several passenger agencies to do same.
I can see Amtrak striking a deal with the NCAA for advertising Division I conference teams in livery as a means to advertise the respective colleges/universities, with a provision that they're "accessible" by Amtrak (note the quotes). It would probably pay for operations in respective areas around said college/university... or at least the student discount on travel.
 #1599071  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting point, Mr. Wolf

So let's see; Big10 now has fourteen schools, and all but four have rail passenger service.

While not a "power five", Ivy is the best; eight schools; six with rail (one more "rail nearby").

Someone else can tote up the other conferences.

But if Amtrak is to start "shrink wrapping" Venture cars to "fling out the dear old flag of Orange and Blue", better be sure those cars are only assigned to The Illini or The Saluki - and preferably only the first.