• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JoeG

The April Railpace has a table of Amtrak LD schedule times in 1985 and now. Most are slower, sometimes much slower. I hadn't quite realized how bad things had gotten. 48 has a schedule that exceeds 20 hours, which would put us back to 1900 or so. But back then, a 20 hour CHI-NY express probably actually took 20 hours. How long does #48 actually take now?
  by Gilbert B Norman

...or why 4(22) is "Unavailable" at Train Status?

There are reports elsewhere that a bridge has been damaged by fire in the Northern AZ fire zone.

If such be the case, bet that Warren and Charlie will be out there slinging spike hammers themselves - and "not exactly" to restore those Amtrak trains. :wink:
  by Gilbert B Norman

I've now learned the bridge fire occurred in Colorado, and therefore not affecting the Transcon.

I don't think Warren or Charlie will be uh, "too concerned".

Train Status still reports #3(21) and #4(23) as "unavailable" @ LAX.
  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:38 pm Does anyone know what put 4(21) 14 hours behind the advertised last night?
They ran the train on a detoured route due to the bridge fire west of La Junta. I can't seem to pinpoint where the bridge is, though.

From Amtrak Alerts Twitter:
  • 4(21) rerouted (which delayed it).
  • 3(22) terminated in Kansas City (and becomes an on-time 4(21) from there)
  • 3(23) is canceled.
Also, 6(21) and 5(22) are delayed due to another bridge fire between Denver and Lincoln... and more around McCook due to fire department battling grass fires along the line.

Not a good time to travel west of the Mississippi.
  by STrRedWolf

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2022/ ... er-travel/
D.C. travelers using Amtrak this summer will have more options than the past two years: train services are expanding up the East Coast.

The new schedule went into effect Monday and increases train frequencies, with more expansions planned for later this month. Amtrak cited an increase in demand for both leisure and business travel when announcing the bolstered service.

Northeast Regional trains are running nearly 80% as often as they did before COVID-19.

Starting May 23, four long-distance trains will be returned to daily service: California Zephyr; Empire Builder; Lake Shore Limited; and Southwest Chief.

And the Acela trains will run more often than they have since start of the pandemic.
  by mcgrath618

All:
The FRA just released their report on Amtrak OTP. More of the usual, with freight trains accounting for the harsh majority of delays.
That having been said, they included cost recovery as a metric, and it is interesting to see which trains are now making their money back.
According to the report, the Auto Train, Acela, Adirondack (despite not running), Hiawatha, Illini/Saluki, Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandberg, Missouri River Runner, and Northeast Regional trains made a profit in FY 2022 Q1.

Carolinian, Lincoln Service, and Piedmont trains broke even.

The worst performing trains were, surprise surprise, the City of New Orleans, Cardinal, and Sunset Limited, in descending order.
  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 am
rcthompson04 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:21 am https://www.railwayage.com/regulatory/f ... el=freight

Here is a link to the report via Railway Age. The Keystone Service seems to be having very low recovery.
Which is bizarre, because every train is packed.
I have been on a few that were quite empty, but others that are quite full. Anecdotally the morning Keystones going west look quite empty.
  by John_Perkowski

4(20) is three hours off the advertised as I write this.

Does anyone have a clue about Amtrak’s excuse? Generations of ATSF General Passenger Traffic Managers are spinning in their graves.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Rocky River Inn, New Milford CT--

Colonel, are you aboard that 4(20)?
  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:58 am 4(20) is three hours off the advertised as I write this.

Does anyone have a clue about Amtrak’s excuse? Generations of ATSF General Passenger Traffic Managers are spinning in their graves.
It's BNSF, so I bet it's some PSR shenanigans again.