• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

On a different note, listening to JCC-Divide on LIRR's radio channel-3 during the weekend shut-downs on the main line is interesting. I hear strange train numbers from crews departing Hicksville for (I assume) Huntington and Ronkonkoma. Numbers in the 9300's and 9600's. Can anyone tell us which service each of those series applies to? Thanks!
  by Patch Hog

9600: Hunt - Hicksville
9900: Ronkonkoma - Hicksville
9200: Hicksville - Babylon
9500: East Williston - Oyster Bay
  by Head-end View

Thank you Patch Hog.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Platform changes at Mineola effective Monday March 28 -
The temporary platforms on the west end of the station on both sides will close and are replaced by
two eight car platforms to the east at the site:
Platform A - Rear 8 cars for westbound trains
Platform B - Head 8 cars for eastbound trains

I was able to visit the work site of the Denton Avenue/Tanners Pond Road bridge replacement this week...
The new bridge will be ONE LANE - and is visible through surrounding fencing on the south side. There is
a sidewalk on the SE corner of Main Avenue and Tanners Pond Road that is not blocked off and useable.
Google Maps Streetview of the bridge area shows the old bridge and walls well and can even look up at
the support beams and ties of the soon-to-be-replaced old bridge structure from the roadway below...
The nearby address in GMSV would be: 192-186 Tanners Pond Rd, Garden City, NY 11530
(my device unfortunately cannot offer a direct link to Streetview)...MACTRAXX
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - This is the 3TC update for April 2022:
https://lirrexpansion.com/2022/04/01/up ... pril-2022/

Noteable changes include the platform relocations at Mineola - and the Denton Avenue/Tanners Pond Road
bridge replacement project - the new bridge is scheduled to be moved into place on the weekend of April 30/
May 1 four weeks from now barring any weather or other setbacks...MACTRAXX
  by Head-end View

I visited the bridge replacement site at 11am this morning at Tanners Pond Rd/Denton Ave. Was hoping to see some of the bridge being jacked into place but it had already been done during the night.

I had a good conversation with one of MTA's contracted community ambassadors who was there talking with the local residents some of whom came out to watch the job. He was pleasantly surprised that there was no hostility at all from the Garden City residents he spoke with. He said they were friendly and actually seemed intrigued with how efficiently the job was done. I was surprised myself given all the B/S between the MTA and Village over the past year.

I have to agree, it was pretty cool how fast they got this bridge replacement done, once the court ruled in the MTA's favor.
  by photobug56

While the handling of the poles was an unmitigated PR disaster, overall the project has from all appearances been well run. Now my spouse did complain about the pretty much every weekend closings because, for Port Jeff passengers, they make the LIRR nearly useless. One of the issues - we'd have to use the Babylon station, and have to pay for parking, both of which are a PITA.

The bridge replacement process in general is impressive; how fast they moved once the GC politicians could no longer block it was very impressive. Now, if only train speeds averaged more than 20 to 30 MPH! :-)
  by workextra

Write your state senators Both (D) and (R) demand they immediately remove the illegitimate false cab signal codes installed in lieu of PTC in 2013.
And average train speeds will increase.
This I the primary reason why you have slow trains.
And everyone is afraid to un do this disgraceful thing that was done in fear.
  by photobug56

Perhaps you could please provide a deeper explanation? It is my understanding that LIRR is now (via ACES?) fully PTC? So this no longer has any reason at all to exist?

I would note that from what I've seen of late 1800's train schedules, that speeds don't seem to have changed much since then on comparable routes as best as I can tell.

Years ago, I don't remember if it was the Bitanic or a C3 with DM's, we had a stoppage around Greenlawn inbound. Sat for a while (I think 15 to 20 minutes), and then, contrary to normal practice, we took off like a bat out of hell, even got through Jamaica fairly quickly, and made Penn a lot less late than anyone would have expected, averaging 60 MPH or better rather than the usual 40 on that run (the one that is 'supposed' to arrive at 7:20AM). Of course, there's the one 'trip' from NYP with change at Hicksville EB towards PJ which is scheduled (on a good day), to take 90 minutes for the 40 miles in question. And one out of HPA, that when I last rode it, would pull out of the station, sit for 15 minutes, then haul a-s to Jamaica - then sit waiting to enter Jamaica from one to 10 minutes.

So while I'd like to understand what you are mentioning, both out of personal interest and to write my State Senator (who's heard from me before), I'd say there are plenty of very odd practices on LIRR that contribute to making the commute take far longer than it should. At the top of the list - we've done it that way for 150 years, why should we change now!
  by workextra

Since the metro bother wreck.
Lirr was politically forced to fused the cab signal system to enforce slower speeds around the curves.
For example they have a 40 mph cab signal speed enforcing a 40, 45, 50, and 60 speed limit curve.
If the curve is say 1000 feet.
The block is 5000 feet, well, you got a nice delay.
  by photobug56

I've heard the same sort of stories about NYCTA and subway signals. Signal timing gets screwed up, instead of fixing it they just cut speed. SOME of that got fixed in recent years, but MTA IMHO is so loaded with mediocrity that they'd just rather keep speeds low than fix problems.

It's mind boggling that with PTC in place they don't properly program it and remove artificial restrictions.
  by Head-end View

That might not be as simple as it sounds. I believe the LIRR is having some glitches with the PTC system. If anyone can enlighten us or correct me, please do so.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - The 3TC update for May 2022:
https://lirrexpansion.com/2022/05/01/up ... -may-2022/

Moving the Denton Avenue/Tanners Pond Road bridge into place on the weekend of April 30/May 1
is the most noticeable improvement - the roadway below is expected to be re-opened by mid June.

Weekend trackwork program outages are scheduled for May 14-15 and 21-22.

Good to see the 3TC project moving forward...MACTRAXX
  by photobug56

I was just reading the monthly update email. I'd love to see something that diagrams where track and new switches are in place already, and also what's left to be done.

Of course, it would be nice if LIRR would begin public outreach on its planning process for testing and implementing the 3rd track and ESA. Though I'm not holding my breath. I know that LIRR is starting that planning, I just wish they'd do it out in the open and invite comments from the public.
  by MattAmity90

photobug56 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:50 pm I was just reading the monthly update email. I'd love to see something that diagrams where track and new switches are in place already, and also what's left to be done.

Of course, it would be nice if LIRR would begin public outreach on its planning process for testing and implementing the 3rd track and ESA. Though I'm not holding my breath. I know that LIRR is starting that planning, I just wish they'd do it out in the open and invite comments from the public.
Seeing Edward Hand's photos, I can confirm this:

1.) Divide Interlocking is undergoing reconfiguration as the new third track will be laid to the NORTH of the two tracks.
2.) Steel poles have not been erected around Grand Blvd, a stretch near the Meadowbrook, and a stretch between Merillon Avenue and New Hyde Park.
3.) Westbury's second pedestrian overpass at the East end has its skeleton frame erected, with the first one moving swimmingly along.
4.) Filling in the space to the South near the Meadowbrook for the third track.
5.) Mineola is the epicenter of the busiest construction, which is self-explanatory.
6.) NASSAU 1 and 3 have been placed into service, with the new third track laid over Herricks Road and connected to the new switches.
7.) Third track has been laid but buried in ballast, but in some sections is getting ready for third rail installation and wiring.
8.) My guess is that on one weekend, crews at all the stations will be removing the temporary platforms on the South side of the ROW, then on that Monday Tracks 3 and the actual Track 2 will be in service, with Track 1 being the bypass/express track. Currently, the trains platform on 3A and 1B.
9.) They have been realigning the tracks and doing rail-tie replacement work during the outages.