Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1597882  by photobug56

Thanks. Far more informative than MTA, without all the repetition!

I've long wondered why MTA does such a lousy job at keeping people informed. Not just about projects, but daily issues as well. Poor announcements, sometimes no announcements, display boards so far away on platforms you can't read them, emails about problems sometimes having little useful information, and my favorite, honesty in arrival times. For instance, say it's pouring out (or other bad weather), no platform canopy, just a small, smelly broken down shelter, and if you can see the display, it will say on time, not noting that the train in question has broken down. I've had occasion to ask one of their PR people basic questions, and typically get a few useless words, if any, in return. Plus a lot of being told to ask someone else a question, asking that person, being told to ask the first person.
 #1597931  by workextra

Does anyone here know if the plan is to place the whole new No2 track in service at once or place it into service in sections, for example.
Floral park to Nassau 1 or Nassau 3
Nassau 1- Nassau 3
Nassau 3 - Divide 1

Depending on how fast the platform is completed inside mineola, they may be able to put a “loop” in to drop down, platform and swing back to the ML1 (Frm No.2)

Also depending on when the floral park station switch and signals are installed, you could in theory place the west end in service while the east end is being completed.

Does anyone know the plan?
 #1598145  by MattAmity90

Thanks to Edward Hand, he took a picture from this past weekend's outage showing realignment of the tracks in between the Grand Blvd. bridge and the Wantagh Parkway bridge. A hut was also razed in Mineola known as "N2."

It's being called the "New Cassel Bump"
It's being called the "New Cassel Bump"
52091970630_dc7ac4decf_c.jpg (201.01 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
 #1598248  by R36 Combine Coach

To ask, were any of the crossing eliminations in the LIRR main line project funded as part of the grade crossing elimination program from the Federal Highway Fund? I do know that is a prime source from funding for states to
use the U.S. Highway Fund's Federal-Aid grade elimination appropriation for replacing rail crossings.
 #1598249  by photobug56

Interesting question. I'd love to see a lot more grade crossings eliminated on LIRR, with my attention going to the PJ line. I know, some spots next to impossible without elevating the tracks (like in East Northport), and much of it would be difficult and expensive. But if funds are available, some should be done.
 #1598253  by MattAmity90

photobug56 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:17 pm Interesting question. I'd love to see a lot more grade crossings eliminated on LIRR, with my attention going to the PJ line. I know, some spots next to impossible without elevating the tracks (like in East Northport), and much of it would be difficult and expensive. But if funds are available, some should be done.
I can give you a list of grade crossings that are impossible to eliminate:

1.) Rt. 112/Main Street in Port Jefferson.
2.) Jackson Avenue in Syosset.
3.) Stewart Avenue & Broadway in Bethpage.
4.) Practically every crossing in Farmingdale.
5.) Straight Path in Wyandanch.
-Well practically every grade crossing along the Ronkonkoma Branch.

The best we can do is four-quadrant gate all of them like Little Neck Parkway. It would also alleviate train horn noise.
 #1598257  by photobug56

On the PJ line, short of elevating the tracks like on the South Shore, any feel for which crossings CAN be eliminated? Done as part of an electrification project that LIRR claims they are thinking about? Oh, along with some double tracking...
 #1598272  by MACTRAXX

MA90: I disagree - ANY grade crossing CAN be eliminated provided there is agreement from the communities
on how to proceed on a given project - and most importantly that there is $$FUNDING$$ available...

With the mention of Bethpage and Farmingdale there would likely have to be aerial structures with new
station facilities constructed to eliminate the crossings in both towns...that would most likely encounter
oposition from the disruptions needed during the construction phase - and from NIMBYs and BANANAs.
(BANANA stands for "Build Absolutely Nothing Anyplace Near Anyone")...

The best example of a single crossing being eliminated is the Herricks Road crossing between Merillon
Avenue and Mineola - that took 16 years after the 1982 tragedy that resulted in 9 fatalities...

One of the most ambitious LIRR grade crossing eliminations was the Amityville-Copiague-Lindenhurst
project - with the three then-new elevated stations and long aerial structures that opened in 1973...
With NIMBYs, BANANAs and the areas served being concerned on how the construction would disrupt
travel through and around the three localities - would something like this ever get built today?
MACTRAXX
 #1598566  by Head-end View

The three station tracks at Hicksville are numbered 1-2-3 from north to south.

Does anyone know if they will be re-numbered the same as the three main-line tracks, 3-1-2 north to south?

Now that the Main-Line and the station will both have three tracks, wouldn't it make sense to number them all the same? That uniformity would make life simpler for both the crews and passengers.