Railroad Forums 

• Oneonta, NY railfanning - what are the schedules?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1593232  by D45 CRTe LE

Hello all,

heading up to the Catskills next week and plan to drive up to the Oneonta area for some railfanning. Could anyone give me an insight as to what the schedules are for trains through here? I've heard NS 22K reliably passes through at about 9:30 AM, but if anyone else has some other schedules, that'd be great! Thanks!
 #1593233  by NHV 669

Freights don't run on a schedule. Other than 22/23k, your only other train pair is 16R/11R (manifest).

Seems like the trains move when they have the crews on NS these days.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1593390  by D45 CRTe LE

NHV 669 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:49 am Freights don't run on a schedule. Other than 22/23k, your only other train pair is 16R/11R (manifest).

Seems like the trains move when they have the crews on NS these days.
Yep, I know there's no schedule, but is there a rough time they pass by usually?

Thanks!
 #1593798  by ANDY117

Usually 22K heads north from Binghamton in the morning or early afternoon. 16R and 31T both head north late at night, if they run at all. Lately CP hasn't been able to take 31Ts every day, and on other days 16R won't run due to a variety of self-inflicted reasons.

Southbounds are usually more predictable. 22K and 11R will usually be on duty in Mechanicville early in the morning, but can take up to 6 hours to leave depending on work to be performed at Mechanicville. 30T is usually on duty around lunchtime at Saratoga, and the train may be either there, or down at the old Ballston Spa station.

Again, this is assuming the trains made it from their origins on CP/Pan Am.