Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1591096  by NY&LB

Bracdude181 wrote:It appears that they could not get up the hill at Pine Brook. They are shoving back 30 car lengths…
Guess they better sent up a pusher base at the bottom of the “hill”
The grade between MP 42 and 43 is 0.79%; Next “hill” is between MP44 and 45 at 0.62%; next “mountain” is between MP 47 and 48 (Earle) at 0.82% (might need another helper there); and a 0.70% just WEST of Lakewood MP 59-60.
 #1591097  by Tanker1497

They probally went back early due to the ice storm. I know I've heard NJT Coast Line ask if freight trains have sand and working sanders. If they don't its a no entry. Sand is costly to a already low profic margin run! With the train needing to back 30 car lenghts to make the hill is a clear sign they dont have sand or working sanders. The train could have been stranded for a week...
 #1591107  by Bracdude181

Part of the reason they got stuck Is because 6160 has had the piss beat out of it during its time in the Conrail regions. It doesn’t run right and was having traction problems at Cross Street last week too. I’m sure the wet rails did not help last night. Here’s hoping that next week we get either 6210 or 6228. Both pull very well, especially 6228. I’ve seen that engine pull 90 car oil trains at Port Reading by itself!!

Them going back last night? First SA38 in quite some time.
 #1591119  by Bracdude181

I’ve just been told that the County Line Rd crossing in Lakewood never deactivated after SA38 brought the train back, causing the gates to stay down.

As such, this section of town is now in near-gridlock, with detour routes seeing extremely heavy traffic.
 #1591128  by NY&LB

STRANGE….. seems the train came through about 2 AM, hard to believe the gates have been down for almost 12 hours now. The police know who to call and may even have the keys necessary to raise the gates….I know other PDs that have the keys and instructions to do so.
 #1591143  by JohnFromJersey

NY&LB wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:46 pm STRANGE….. seems the train came through about 2 AM, hard to believe the gates have been down for almost 12 hours now. The police know who to call and may even have the keys necessary to raise the gates….I know other PDs that have the keys and instructions to do so.
This happened at Rowan University last night. Their line is MUCH busier than the Southern, and has MUCH longer trains pass through. I was surprised it was an issue, you'd expect the maintenance there to be much better. Then again, it's a Conrail line and we all know how they tend to treat their stuff. Speaking of, is there a thread for the line that passes through Rowan University? If not, I will start one.
 #1591155  by trainfann101

Bracdude181 wrote:Part of the reason they got stuck Is because 6160 has had the piss beat out of it during its time in the Conrail regions. It doesn’t run right and was having traction problems at Cross Street last week too. I’m sure the wet rails did not help last night. Here’s hoping that next week we get either 6210 or 6228. Both pull very well, especially 6228. I’ve seen that engine pull 90 car oil trains at Port Reading by itself!!

You won’t be seeing 6210 unless absolutely necessary. The engine is a junk-box and is even considered the worst some have run in their careers on CR, according to some first hand accounts.

As for the 38, probably just a miracle they were actually able to fill one…
 #1591158  by Bracdude181

@Trainfann101 Why

WHY does Conrail North Jersey almost always get the absolute worst, most nasty engines both NS and CSX have?!?!?!

6160 doesn’t run right and can’t pull well
4405 has no power and is burning up
4421 is disgusting and filled with roaches
5634 burns more oil than diesel and can barely move itself, let alone a train
5269 has knocking rods
5628 is just the epitome of pain and suffering
4406 has PTC issues and it can barely move

The road power that comes in on oil trains is even worse. So many trashed GE engines that have all caught on fire at one point or sound like bricks in a cement mixer!
 #1591207  by David

JohnFromJersey wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:52 pm
NY&LB wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:46 pm STRANGE….. seems the train came through about 2 AM, hard to believe the gates have been down for almost 12 hours now. The police know who to call and may even have the keys necessary to raise the gates….I know other PDs that have the keys and instructions to do so.
This happened at Rowan University last night. Their line is MUCH busier than the Southern, and has MUCH longer trains pass through. I was surprised it was an issue, you'd expect the maintenance there to be much better. Then again, it's a Conrail line and we all know how they tend to treat their stuff. Speaking of, is there a thread for the line that passes through Rowan University? If not, I will start one.
The train that passes Rowan University is covered under the thread "South Jersey". Therefore no need for a separate new thread. Thank you.
 #1591292  by JohnFromJersey

David wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:01 pm The train that passes Rowan University is covered under the thread "South Jersey". Therefore no need for a separate new thread. Thank you.
I'd argue that the South Jersey topic is a little too broad... There are a lot of different lines down there ranging from the NEC to the Vineland Secondary to whatever branches off of that. All of which are far busier than the Southern Secondary but they don't have their own topics, and I don't really see anyone reporting train movements in that topic like they do here.
 #1591327  by RustyRail5634

Tanker1497 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:21 am They probally went back early due to the ice storm. I know I've heard NJT Coast Line ask if freight trains have sand and working sanders. If they don't its a no entry. Sand is costly to a already low profic margin run! With the train needing to back 30 car lenghts to make the hill is a clear sign they dont have sand or working sanders. The train could have been stranded for a week...
The locomotive has working sanders, I've seen them in use multiple times on the hill in question a few weeks ago.
Bracdude181 wrote:Part of the reason they got stuck Is because 6160 has had the piss beat out of it during its time in the Conrail regions. It doesn’t run right and was having traction problems at Cross Street last week too. I’m sure the wet rails did not help last night. Here’s hoping that next week we get either 6210 or 6228. Both pull very well, especially 6228. I’ve seen that engine pull 90 car oil trains at Port Reading by itself!!

That problem is not unique to 6160, all locomotives are in various states of mechanical competence. These engines (minus the NS 5600s) have gone nearly 50 years without any major ground-up rebuild, thus meaning they will break down from time to time. Regarding 6210, it is without a doubt one of the worst engines we've had in a while, with multiple employees complaining about its poor performance.
Bracdude181 wrote:@Trainfann101 Why

WHY does Conrail North Jersey almost always get the absolute worst, most nasty engines both NS and CSX have?!?!?!

6160 doesn’t run right and can’t pull well
4405 has no power and is burning up
4421 is disgusting and filled with roaches
5634 burns more oil than diesel and can barely move itself, let alone a train
5269 has knocking rods
5628 is just the epitome of pain and suffering
4406 has PTC issues and it can barely move

The road power that comes in on oil trains is even worse. So many trashed GE engines that have all caught on fire at one point or sound like bricks in a cement mixer!
Same point as before. All these engines have been kept alive for decades and decades, meaning there's going to be a point where they are going to have problems. Just because they're dirty and smell doesn't necessarily mean the unit is a ticking time bomb. 5628 specifically has pulled entire road trains by itself on occasion before, 4406 is a good puller (from other accounts, not my own) and yes is plagued with PTC issues; but try to find any other aging locomotive that doesn't have the same problems.
 #1591342  by RailsEast

Thanks Rusty.
In my opinion, enjoy the pain & suffering & smells & sounds. Who knows, maybe in a decade we'll have battery powered locomotives on the Southern, where they'll be no pain, no suffering, no sound and no smell.
I know I'm getting old (age 61), but I'll take the current aging roster over anything that we may well see in the future (unless C&D gets control and sends down some pretty cool older power).

In my 40's, Conrail Blue was just so damn boring; same stuff every day, everywhere... I hated it.
Boy, I sure miss it today.

Just my .02 worth.
Chris
 #1591405  by pumpers

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:02 pm I'd argue that the South Jersey topic is a little too broad... There are a lot of different lines down there ranging from the NEC to the Vineland Secondary to ...
NEC in SouthJersey?