Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1589591  by newpylong

Keep in mind this only portrays the awarded/expected grant amounts and railroad contributions for targeted projects but not the rest of the capital improvements. There is a lot more skin in the game to get the railroad up to a good state of repair. Mr. Foote clarified numerous times CSX was going to spend $100M over 3 years ($50M in the first) on PAR alone and PAS contributions are different and not in the application as they are TBD.
 #1589592  by newpylong

tourist wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:24 pm I was wondering if I could get any thoughts on the future of a line in my neck of the woods- namely the CT River Line between Deerfield and Springfield. Do you guys see the line serving any purpose beyond Amtrak and the one periodic PLED/EDPL train? I'd love to see the line get more action, but am not sure if that's in the cards with this transaction.
To start, more reliable and frequent service. I would not expect drastic changes out of the gate.
 #1589595  by Firetiger58

Being that PAS has track rights to Cedar Hill yard in North Haven Ct (A CSX yard)with B&E and P&W both G&W companies that may give them access to the Port of New Haven.
 #1589602  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Barlow, getting WAAAAY OT for the moment, apparently that is how in Cuba they make new Coaches when needed!

Well, at least until the Chinese came to their rescue; with who knows how many political strings attached.

Plenty of YouTube videos of such, and here is one of several topics on Cuba.
 #1589604  by jamoldover

Firetiger58 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:17 am Being that PAS has track rights to Cedar Hill yard in North Haven Ct (A CSX yard)with B&E and P&W both G&W companies that may give them access to the Port of New Haven.
The rights to Cedar Hill are strictly for purposes of interchange with CSX. The only carrier with access to the Port of New Haven at this point would be the P&W. In any case, B&E will only be a "quasi-GWI" company. There's a strict separation between B&E and any GWI-owned railroads under the terms of the operating contract (it's been submitted as part of the STB application, and makes interesting reading). Any violation of that separation is likely to lead fairly quickly to a new operator being chosen, and I don't think GWI wants to take the chance on losing the revenue they'll get. Because of way the contract's written and who's responsible for paying for things like maintenance, GWI probably stands to make more money strictly as an operator/agent for PAS ownership than they would if they actually purchased PAS and integrated it into other GWI operations in New England.
 #1589605  by jamoldover

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:33 am At Lowell, MA: http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=256451

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389842911473705093/

Might that caboose shown in the Lowell wreck train photo be a New Haven NE-5? Of course, FAIK, the B&M had some of the same style.
Yes, the B&M did have some cabeese of the same style. There are a number of the ex-B&M ones floating around, including the ones in the PAR wreck trains.
 #1589632  by Ale Rider1

I know this has been going on for some time, but for years I thought CSOR had an iron clad paper barrier that prevented them from interchanging with anyone but CSX or terminating short-lines like CNZR. How did that new agreement get put in place?
 #1589654  by Firetiger58

Their is a provision in the agreement dating back to Conrail days that said unless a new connection was made with another railroad.
This was accomplished when the Middletown branch was reconnect to Hartford by CT DOT and P&W.
 #1589664  by CPF66

Gilbert B Norman wrote:At Lowell, MA: http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=256451

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389842911473705093/

Might that caboose shown in the Lowell wreck train photo be a New Haven NE-5? Of course, FAIK, the B&M had some of the same style.
That is a exB&M caboose. I don't recall what number exactly, but it had a fire and was retired. Along the way the B&M needed a car to store oxygen and acetylene bottles for cutting torches, since the car was already gutted they threw it on a flatcar and reused it.
 #1589665  by CPF66

I thought the grant money is still there. They are just waiting for the transaction to shake out before any grant work is started. CSX mentioned it in their application. When you say put a hold on the grant, are you saying temporary or permanent?
From my understanding, the DOT is withholding the grant money until the sale is approved or denied. Although I cannot say for certain, it sounds like if it is approved the grant money will go away. Its one thing to give out grants to a shortline or regional which would have a hard time doing major track upgrades. But paying for the bulk of the track improvements for a Class 1 which makes billions of dollars a year in revenue defeats the purpose of those grants.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: fixed broken quote
 #1589676  by newpylong

Does it though? Who is to say Pan Am couldn't have afforded it? The railroad was profitable, at the expense of.... track?

That said, I don't think there is a legal pretext for withdrawing the grant monies as all of the Pan Am Systems subsidiaries (the ones who actually filed the paperwork for the grant) will continue to operate under the same corporations until they are merged into CSXT.
Last edited by nomis on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: removed immediate quote